Chapter 2

Chapter 2: Broken Delusions

        It is not our differences that divide us. We cannot recognize, accept and celebrate those differences – Audre Lorde

Never a truer word has been spoken. In this unusual world of the 19th century where humans and the so-called 'vampires' live in an uneasy coexistence, it was natural for humans to fear what is unknown and the vampires to have certain prejudices against humans.

Even in their kind, Vampires discriminate against their own. A popular tale among vampires, the tale of Vanitas of the Blue Moon... Is simple proof of it.

But it wasn't the focus of this story. And it wasn't also about a tale of how a certain vampire met a certain inheritor of Vanita's will and how would he eventually kill him.

No, the start of this story was a certain county in Britain, specifically in England. Borsetshire — a county that was split into two constituencies. Borsetshire was split into 1 city and 4 towns. The cathedral city of Felpersham. The 4 county towns of Silverbridge, Hogglestock, Greshambury, and finally, Borchester a historic market and a factory town for wools.

In Borchester, a woman who once lived in London has given birth to a child. It should be a happy occasion for her. But as the midwife who helped her look at the child when he opened his eyes, she screamed.

"... Vampire!!! Abomination! "

All of the woman's fantasies and delusions for the future have vanished.

Originally, she was someone who lives as a sex worker in London. She doesn't have a choice but become a sex worker because it was the only way that she can feed herself. Born in a poor family, she realizes that this world is cruel to people like her.

Other than being poor enough that her family can't feed themselves twice a day, she also realizes the unfair future that was awaiting her.

In this era, despite the progress that has been happening in this world, the man and women in this society aren't treated as equals.

There are fewer job opportunities that was awaiting them. It would also be lesser when you aren't a knowledgeable and educated individual.

In the end, she has no choice but to take this unpleasant path. With this, she would be able to feed herself. One to two meals a day and a place to live.

Her family is no longer in this world, and she has to survive in this cruel society.

She took away her shame and thrown away her dignity.

She ignored the pointed stares and looks of disgust for people like her.

She spread her legs and please all of her customers.

She has even stolen other customers from her fellow workers.

She was lucky and careful enough to at least care for hygiene to avoid unpleasantly risky things that may happen on her job.

She was also cautious enough to choose her proper customer. Observed their behavior and made sure that they weren't those people who would harm her just like what she heard from the experiences of her unfortunate colleagues.

It has become her routine to survive in this world. Living like this every day. She persists even though she was starting to doubt herself on continuing to survive.

The unpleasant feelings and bitterness toward this society and the world linger and becomes stronger.

She was barely hanging on to this lifestyle.

She keeps dragging herself into the darkness and taunting death.

She saw no hope in this kind of 'living'.