The mistake

(June POV)

It's been two weeks since me and Jack met up. He's been coming every day since each time bringing a new gift. one day it's an action figure, the next a bag of gummy worms. sometimes he just steals pop cans from his tree house and toss them at my window until I open it. Every day my love for him grows. I guess this is the kind of stuff when the only guy around sees you every day.

Except today. Like a terrifying siren, the monstrous roar of Blarg shrieks through the whole town. Jack might've made it to the school but if he did, I wasn't there. I was trekking through Wakefield, because my motorbike would cause too much noise attracting zombies and of course Blarg.

I hike up through the hills and crouch down into my favorite sniping tree. The tree is covered with stuff like coolers, picnic baskets, and an assortment of bags and purses. I used to just hang out in it after school or in summer looking at people through my spyglass and making fun of the stuff they did. It was the first place I came to when the apocalypse hit. I came back and forth from town to here until I finally made base in the middle school.

and now it will be the place I kill Blarg. I pulled out of my heaviest hitting sniper looking for Blarg everywhere. I see something move behind Home Depot? bang. dead zombie. a shuffle next to the gas station? bang. dozer dozing. I'm on a monster killing spree. until I nearly hit him.

A flame decaled red truck veers the corner, but I mistake it for a winged wretch, and I shoot at it. the truck smashes into the rite-aid. and the people who come out of it is what scares me. a muscly guy with a mohawk and a black scrawny kid hop out first each inspecting the damage to the truck. the scrawny kid looks into the truck and talks to a third guy.

Jack slowly crawls out of the truck holding his head. he looks at his hand which is filled with-I'm guessing- blood. his eyes widen and he whips around wildly looking for the bitch who shot the bullet. his eyes rest on me and from miles around I see the hurt in his eyes. I look away breaking the eye contact.

I see them. roses. strewn out around Jack's feet. It was at that moment I knew. Jack loved me. And I hurt him again.