the night

(Jack POV)

my ears are ringing. my tears welling. my heart is hammering in my chest nearly pounding through my ribs. my head throbbing. everything in indescribable pain, in and out.

"Jack?" Quint asks, "is your head ok?"

"fine." I manage to squeak, "I just need some alone time."

we were able to make it back to the tree house. with Big Mama not being in too much of a bad shape, just the front being a little tattered and the AC blew out. but the damage didn't compare to mine.

after Quint climbs down the ladder to work on something I let it out. I cry, punch pillows, emotion eat, and a bunch of other stuff. I do it all night. I hide my hurt when Quint and Dirk come up for bed, when Rover tries to come up.

Then I remember. we heard Blarg. so that means June must've heard Blarg. she told me how her parents were nearly killed by him.

I'm down the ladder and in the workshop.

so she must've been attacking Blarg.

I grab the saddle that Quint's been working on, and toss it onto Rover.

I mean, she must've been out there trying to get Blarg right?

It's 6:00 am when I get to the school.

I mean she wouldn't attack me!

I hesitate as I grab the school's door handles.

would she?