Chapter 10

Varian woke up to the sound of Adira jumping off the caravan, resulting in Cassandra fussing about it. That meant Adira's brother had to be around and Varian wasn't certain if he was awake enough or have the mental capacity to deal with the emotions the man stirred in his chest.

Unfortunately, he heard a knock on the caravan door. It was Rapunzel. "Hey, Vari. Adira is here to talk to you. Quirin is here too, but he says he understands if you only want to see Adira."

"What does she want?" Varian asked.

"She wants to talk to us about the scrolls she gave us. We haven't had the time to really discuss it."

He let out a sigh. "Fine. Give me five minutes and I'll be out."

"Ok."

As he had said, he was out five minutes later, dressed and somewhat prepared for what was about to be thrown at him. "So, what is this about the scroll?"

"I'm sure you're aware that the scroll you have so far is only half of it," Adira began.

"Yes." Varian nodded.

"Well, the next part is in the Spire."

"Spire?"

"Yes. Over on the mountain."

"Not to be rude or anything," Cassandra cut in, crossing her arms. "But what good is a scroll that we can't even read, do us?"

"Because it's connected to the Sundrop and the Moonstone," Adira explained. "Both which we know little about and it might be very valuable if we are able to translate it. We do have a small translation key, but it's only a couple letters. I figured that if Varian inherited half his mother's brains, he'd be able to finish the translation-"

"Adira!" Quiring hissed upon the mention of his wife.

Varian felt his body go rigid. "M-mother?" He knew he had a birth mother, but it was still weird to think about it. To hear the words. They felt so strange. So unreal and even frightening. Arianna was supposed to be his mother now, he didn't want another.

Quirin sighed. "She has been dead for some time now."

"She was an alchemist, which I see you have followed that same path." Adira gestured to his goggles. "But the point is, the scroll could be key in order to follow your destiny."

"They've been at it for a while. What could they be talking about?" Eugene wondered aloud. He was standing at the other side of the caravan where he had been forced to wait.

"Shh! I'm trying to eavesdrop!" Andrew hissed.

"You know I can read lips, right?" Lance said. "Follow..your dust...to me."

Andrew and Eugene pass him equally unamused looks.

"Follow my destiny..." Varian repeated. "I'm not even sure what that means."

"Well, you and the Sundrop," Adira explained. "I won't keep you any longer. Find your next scroll piece at the Spire. And the Keeper will take you to it."

With that she turned to leave. Quirin didn't move. He was still standing, watching Varian closely with saddened eyes.

"What?" Cassandra spoke up defensively.

"It's just..." Quirin sighed. "I know it's the last thing you probably want to hear, son. But you look so much like her too. Your eyes, your face, everything. And I know that probably means nothing to you... I won't keep you..." he turned and followed after Adira.

"I guess we better get ready to go to the Spire then," Rapunzel said at last. "You good, Varian?"

"Huh? Oh. Yeah. Just not quite awake yet..."