Chapter 12

"There it is.  From here, we'll be traveling by boat for a bit," Cassandra said as she pulled the horses to a halt.

It took a couple hours, but they converting their caravan into a boat.

"I just realized that Lance and I only have the minimum knowledge on boats," Eugene said suddenly.

"And I can't tell you what everything is and what they do, but I don't actually know how to do anything," Varian said.

"Then let's hire a captain," Cassandra said.

Andrew set his arm around her shoulders.  "Don't you remember? I am very familiar with ships, babe."

"Oh, that's right.  You were on a prison barge for six months before you became a Coronan Guard," Cassandra recalled.

"Perfect!" Rapunzel exclaimed.  She gave a relaxed salute.  "Well, Captain Andrew, lead the way!"

Andrew chuckled.  "Well, come aboard, my hearty crew, and we shall set sail on this glorious vessel, Cara De Van."

The other boarded the caravan turned boat.  Lance and Eugene lowered the sail to begin their journey on the water.  Andrew was the one steering it, but was taking the time to show the others so that they could take turns.

"I'm going to go cook lunch," Lance said at last.

"But it's still only ten," Eugene pointed out.

"Buh, buh, buh," Lance cut in, shaking his finger.  "It is never too early to eat."

"I'll help you," Rapunzel offered.

"Thank you, princess.  Glad to know you understand." He passed Eugene a hunting look.

Eugene merely returned it with a unimpressed snort.

As the two went below deck, Varian noted that the sky was getting darker.  "You know, the salty breez is surprisingly kind of relaxing," he said.

"Agreed," Eugene said. "When I saw that the black rocks were leading us across the water, I gotta admit I had my doubts about converting the caravan into a boat." Thunder rumbled in the distance and the darkening sky suddenly gained the other's attention. "And as it turns out, my fears were not unfounded..."

"Nothing's happened yet," Varian said.

No sooner had he said that when the wind started picking up and the rain began start falling.  The waves began to grow, making the others almost lose their balance.

"Better get Lance and Rapunzel," Andrew said.

Cassandra slammed her sword against the bell. "Storm!" she shouted. 

Lance and Rapunzel came back onto the deck.  "Woah! This changed fast," she cried.

"Hurry, we have to get this boat prepared for the storm before it gets worse," Andrew ordered.

Lance grabbed the railing, looking at the water. "According to my calculations, we should be just missing it-" A large wave crashed over them. "When will you people learn to ignore the things I say?"

"Listin up! The most important thing is to remain calm," Rapunzel said firmly.

"Really?  I thought the most important thing to do was to not drown," Varian retorted, pulling Lance away from the railing so that he was less likely to be hit by the waves.

"Eugene! Lance!" Andrew shouted above the sound of the wind and waves.  "Grab the helm.  We need to hit the waves at a forty-five digree angle. Babe, Raps, empty the bildge.  Varian, help me get everything tied down."

Varian ran to some crates and started to tie them down.  The boat jerked and his stomach flipflopped.  Nausea erupted in his chest and he lost balance.  He grabbed onto the rail, catching himself.  Them he leaned over it to throw up when the rope to the crates snapped and started sliding.  They slid into him, knocking him off the boat.

"Ahhh!"

"Kid-woah!" Andrew had leaned over to catch him when the boat jerk and he fell through where the crates had crushed the railing. 

Andrew grabbed Varian, pulling the boy to the surface.  For some reason, they never did teach Varian how to swim yet and his bandaged arm didn't help him any.  They both gasped and coughed for breath as they grabbed a floating barel to keep them above the water.

Varian clung to it in misery and Andrew kept one arm around him to make sure he did fall off.  He shouted for help, but no one heard and the caravan grew further and further from reach and sight.

Two hours passed and the storm began to clear. "It's ok. Many ships come this way..." Andrew said assuringly.

"Maybe one will come before I throw up a second time," Varian muttered.

"Speaking of which..."

Varian turned his head to look where Andrew was.  There was a boat not too far.  It took some time, but they managed to reach it and they used a rope to climb onto the ship.  With Andrew's help, Varian managed to do it even with his previous injury.

They both flopped down on the deck. Varian gasped for breath, leaning against the side of the boat.

"Oh, no..." Andrew groaned.

"What is it?  I don't like "oh no's".  They're never good," Varian muttered.

"I recognize this boat structure.  This is a prison barge.  But don't worry.  They should be on our side and help us get to the nearest port, which happens to be the port that we need to get to."

"But the others won't be there.  They'll be searching for us," Varian pointed out.

"Maybe, but they will eventually check the port because they know that we would go there first if we received help.  Which it appears that we will."

"True."

"Come on, let's find the captain of this ship." Andrew helped Varian back to his feet.

They hadn't made it two steps before they saw two men walk by.

"The guards were taken care of and this mutiny is now a success," the shorter one stated.

"Oh, blazing suns, he did not just say mutiny," Andrew hissed, pulling Varian down behind the crates.  "Mutiny on a prison barge is the worst kind of mutiny!"

Varian peeked over the crates and let out a small gasp.  "Uhhh... Did Frederic send Lady Caine on a prison barge?"

"As a matter of fact.  Yes.  Why?"

"Because this mutiny just managed to get even worst."

Andrew looked at where Varian pointed, and sure enough, there was Lady Caine leading the entire crew in the mutiny.  "This is not our day."

Varian suddenly ducked, his eyes wide with fear.

"What now?"

"The Stabbingtons are here!" Varian hissed.

"The who?"

"They don't like me.  They were the first people who ever deliberately tried to kill me.  And that was the first day out of my tower.  I almost drowned that day too..."

"Well, this is lovely...  Let's try to sneak a life boat and get the blazing suns off this ship."

"Sounds good to me," Varian agreed.