2

They moved to the direct short-term service course barrack early morning the next day, which is only meant for people who are done with their diploma/degree and want to be a soldier.

Aliyu had always wanted to be a soldier alongside Yusuf, it had been their only dream. But Aliyu's father was totally against it and so after graduating from high school he gave up and joined university to study the course his dad wanted. Yusuf also joined the university saying he cannot let his friend watch him achieve their forever dream.

He quoted "Watching someone else become exactly the person you wanted to be is very unbearable"

So they decided on joining the short service course after their degree but that changed when a tragic incident occurred and Aliyu's mother died.

He completely lost himself as he had always been a mommy's child. He ends up joining the army a few months after to escape reality. Yusuf was always by his side being his brother, best friend, and support.
And ever since he joined he never went back home or hear from his family despite Yusuf's constant pleading and his family's he just couldn't do it. He spent the five years only attending practice on a daily basis, only when the instructor or officer in charge is someone he obeys. Everyone knows how he was deeply broken so others don't force him as they all know he was only there because it is his escape.

That is Aliyu Mahmoud Muhammad. A twenty-five-year-old guy. The first son of Alhaji Mahmoud, a popular rich business tycoon. He has younger siblings being the first in a family of four. The twins his immediate sisters of three years are Mariya and Maryam and the last born Hafsat which he is older by six years. He is the eldest and the only male child. He chose to follow his dreams and joined the army, which helps him in thinking about the incident less.

The first day of arriving was free since it was the passing out day and some are still moving in so they have nothing to do for the day. So he stayed in his room and sat by the window, lost in thoughts just wondering what to do with his life after the nine months when the door burst open and Yusuf walked into the room finding a place to sit.

"Will you ever change?" Aliyu questioned the fact that his friend never knocks or Salaam in.

"Sorry I won't do it again" He shrugged. "I came to tell you something" He continued sitting on the sofa.

Aliyu huffed as he know it wouldn't be anything important. "What is it?" He asked standing from the window finding a place to sit next to him.

"There is a girl" Yusuf replied excited.

"And?" Aliyu asked with no interest in whatever his friend had to say.

"I know she isn't the first girl" Yusuf answered still excited. "She is not male looking like the ones we have here" He said again.

"So?" Aliyu asked still not interested.

"She is a Muslim" Yusuf answered.

Muslim?! That got him. As he knows, as it has always been in the tradition. A Muslim girl doesn't join the army for some reason, is not like it is not allowed in the religion but based on tradition it isn't right. It is never right for a Muslim woman to join the army, especially one from Hausa land. There has never been a Muslim girl his whole time here. People always judge and talk that it became a taboo for a Muslim girl to join the army.