Chapter 3: Questions

Two days after the incident

Eula sat on her bed and stared at the strange Ice crystal. She had taken a piece back with her even at the protest of her senses. Even while she slept, she could feel the darkness radiating from it.

For the past few days, she had been trying to figure out what it was. She tried everything she could think of at the moment, but nothing had worked.

She remembered the carnage from two nights ago, and remembered Rick Andersons' story. It was obvious he knew about the crystal. There were too many holes in his story. He had said the Fatui were experimenting with the monsters, which he had killed immediately before killing the Fatui.

Then he had said the monsters had fired it from their weapons, which would've been impossible if they were dead. There were also too many shattered crystals for it to be like the spear.

It was obvious he was lying. Maybe out of fear, maybe it was something else. Whatever it was, she had to know what this strange feeling of darkness was.

Eula stood from her bed and grabbed the crystal. She shuddered from the severe sense of dread she felt from picking it up. She walked out of her room and began going to the Acting Grandmasters' office.

She knocked on the door as soon as she arrived, and opened it when she heard The Grandmaster tell her 'come in'.

Eula was surprised to see the Honorary Knight and Paimon in the room as well. "Aether, Paimon, what are you two still doing here?"

Aether laughed. "Well, We were supposed to be going back to Liyue yesterday, but I wanted to stay the night, say my formal goodbyes in the morning."

"I see..."

"Either way." Master Jean began. "What do you need, Eula?"

Eula straightened herself out. "I am requesting time off from my duties."

"I'm...sorry?" The Grandmaster asked, clearly confused. It made Eula want to roll her eyes.

"I am requesting time off." She repeated.

Master Jean coughed. "Well, yes...but...why do you need time off? I thought you were watching Rick Anderson for anything suspicious."

"I am requesting time off due to Rick Anderson's involvement with something. Last night, when I was...going for a mental break. I heard gunshots, I went to investigate and found Rick Anderson surrounded by dead Fatui. As well as this." Eula placed the crystal on Master Jeans desk.

When Master Jean went to grab the crystal, her reaction was as Eula expected. The Grandmaster let out a gasp and recoiled from the shock.

"What...is...what is this?" Jean asked, fear present in her voice.

"That is what I am going to be figuring out. Mr. Anderson said that It was fired from the monsters had shot them-"

"Wait...did you say the monsters? Where they nearby?" Master Jean interrupted.

Eula nodded. "Mr. Anderson claimed that the Fatui were meddling with the monsters, so he killed all of them."

Master Jean was about to say something, before a yelp from Aether interrupted her. She glanced at him worryingly, before speaking. "I can see why Mr. Anderson did so. If the monsters are as dangerous as he said, having the Fatui in control of them would be even worse."

Eula nodded once more. "Which is why I am requesting the time off. I am going to look for the source of this, and attempt to destroy it."

"Then no. I cannot have you risk your own life. Not while we know nothing about this threat."