Chapter 7 - Our Lives

4 Days Later

Rick placed a giant crate on the ground. "Okay people... today's the day. First off." he turned around. "I'm glad you took my advice and wore normal clothing."

His student's looked at each other for a moment, but nodded regardless. Rick was glad either way. He told them that wearing a regular shirt and pants were probably the best thing to put armor over.

He turned back around and opened the crate, revealing the tactical gear needed. "I have armored vests, gauntlets, leggings, all you'd need for clothing."

He shrugged his duffle bag onto the ground, crouching to the ground and unzipping it. "And in here, I have ammo belts, holsters... extra rounds." He turned around, putting on a confused face. "Uh... what's wrong?"

"Where... where did you get all this stuff?" Master Jean asked.

"I... had to travel back to my village."

A few of their eyes widened. "In Fontaine? That would be a week's trip!" Amber cried out. "Just... How? And carrying all of this?"

Rick sighed and gave the signal to Eliana. He pulled the ghost shell out of his satchel. "Portable storage device. Don't ask me how it works, It was given to me by... you know what that doesn't matter. I technically am breaking my town's laws by giving this stuff to you guys, so I'd appreciate it if we just move on from this."

Everyone stayed quiet after that. Rick sighed. "Alright, you don't have to worry about sizes or what not. One size fits all. Makes it easier to work on the battlefield. And it's all the same, so don't complain about fashion." Rick put on an awkward face as his 'students' looked at him weirdly. "Look, good looking armor fashion is a big thing where I come from. I get that they're weird customs... It's just a force of habit."

He waited for them to put on the armor, and assisted some of them when needed. When they were done, he smiled, giving them a thumbs up . "Welp, now you have your very own armor sets!"

"It feels a little... tight." Rosaria complained in annoyance.

"Don't worry, it'll adjust to you in no time." Rick said, shrugging the concern off. "Trust me, I've worn that type of armor before. It loosens up to allow for easier movement. So if that's what you were worried about, don't." He gave a smile. "You'll still be able to jump wall to wall if needed."

He picked up the duffel back and put it on the table. As he laid out each type of ammo cartridge, he called over the person who needed the specific ammo type. As soon as they were done inserting cartridges into ammo belts and bags, Rick turned around and faced them.

"Okay, so this is how it's gonna work. From this moment forward, I am your Fireteam leader. That means that any issues you have, you come right to me. Combat reports, scouting reports, those come to me. Especially if they concern anything involving the Taken." He looked over to Master Jean. "This is only temporary. I have nothing against your leadership, Master Jean."

"Don't worry, I understand." She replied with a smile. Rick returned one.

"In that case, to keep things simple, Master Jean... Can I just call you Jean?" Rick asked. Jean nodded. "Jean will be my second in command. Other than that... I don't really have any positions for anyone else at the moment. I suggest you keep doing what you're doing until further notice-"

"Heads up. There's someone approaching."

Rick whirled around and saw someone walking over the hill. They suddenly started running down at abnormal speeds "Who in the hell?" Rick held out his hand. "Don't draw your weapons..." His eyes widened as he saw who it was.