SIXTEEN

Poppy didn't get too far. She ended up walking to a shady looking building. She was too much of a wreck to even be scared of what could happen to her. And besides, her trustworthy knife is with her. Nothing could go wrong. 

She walked inside and heard some talking. She wrinkled her eyebrows, confused as to who would be in here. She rounded the corner and saw her twin.

"Sky?" Poppy asked and then saw the other figure behind him. "Bloom?"

"Poppy? What are you doing here?" Sky asked. He hasn't been doing a good job being there for the girl. He's just been preoccupied with a certain red head.

"I needed some air. You guys?"

"I needed some answers." Bloom said, looking through some files.

"About?"

"I was born in 2004. Keep your eyes peeled for anything from then." Bloom explained, causing the girl to be even more confused.

"I'm lost."

"Can you just please help Pops?"

Poppy sighed and nodded as she made her way to an old table with a bunch of pictures.

"Not sure we're gonna find pictures of pregnant teen fairies Bloom." Sky said.

"Might be a little more subtle than that, like loose clothes, big sweaters, a girl holding a stack of books over her stomach." Bloom said causing the boy to snicker. "Look if you're going to judge, kindly join the rest of the student body and do so behind my back."

"What are they judging you about?" Poppy asked.

"You didn't hear?" Poppy shook her head as the girl continued. "I'm a changeling and apparently those are dangerous and even I don't even know if I am or what even that is so I just need some answers right now."

"Hm." Poppy nodded. She read about changelings, but never really knew one until now. "My bets are on dumb, dumber, and dumbest for starting that rumor." Poppy said.

"Who?" Bloom chuckled.

"Beatrix, Dane, and Riven."

"Why do you think that?" Sky asked.

"Have you not seen the video?" Poppy asked.

"Oh shit." Bloom's eyes widened. "Fuck. I'm sorry Pops. What he said was out of line and once I find out what I am and how to control it, I'll show him who's boss." Bloom hugged the girl.

"Thanks Blooms." Poppy said returning the gesture.

"As much as I don't want to ruin your guy's moment." Sky said, holding up a picture frame. "Look." The boy showed the girls an old picture. "I didn't know this existed."

"Is that your dad?" Bloom asked.

Poppy looked at it and gasped. "Yeah."

"He knew Rosalind?"

"Um... I knew his commander was a woman. I..." Sky said. 

"You both look like him."

"And act like him. And maybe one day, if I work hard enough,

"I can be half the warrior he was." Poppy finished the boy's sentence.

"Sorry. Reflex." Both Sky and Poppy said. Bloom looked at them, a little surprised they said that at the same time, but then again they were twins. 

Bloom shook her head. "Is it weird? Feeling like everyone knew your dad more than you do?"

"Probably not as bad as not knowing who he was at all." Sky said.

And just like that Poppy has felt an emotion she has never felt for. Her twin actually liked Bloom. He liked her so much he was willing to sacrifice his time to help her. The girl couldn't help but smile. All she ever wanted was for him to be happy and if Bloom could give him that, then so be it.

Their peaceful time was soon interrupted by the people Poppy hated most.