NINETEEN

"Poppy. I know you're in there. Open the door. Please." Riven said, pounding on the door for what felt like forever. It's weird but he didn't need to ask anyone if they knew where Poppy was. He knew she was in her suite. It was where she went to when she needed some space.

What Riven didn't know was that the girl was sitting on the other side of the door, thinking. She wanted to talk to him, maybe hear him out, but she knew it was better if she didn't.

Did he deserve to be heard out?

Did he deserve a chance to explain himself?

Poppy sighed. She knew it would be hypocritical of her to assume the worst in Riven without hearing his side of the story. That's what she learned in their relationship. There could have been a lot of misunderstanding between the two because they didn't really do a good job communicating and expressing their emotions. But they learned to get passed it.

But right now? Poppy didn't know what she wanted.

"Poppy seed? Please."

Poppy closed her eyes when she heard the pain in the boy's voice. She thought about it for a bit before she stood up, wiped away her tears, and opened the door. There revealed the boy sitting in the same exact position she was.

The boy quickly stood up when saw the girl. "Hey."

Poppy half-smiled. "Hey."

"I'm sorry."

"Riv..."

"Please just let me explain." Riven begged, causing her to nod as she opened the door wider for him to come him. They ended up on the couch in the living room.

"You want anything to drink?"

Riven shook his head. "I'm ok. Um... I'm so fucking sorry Poppy. I never meant any of those words and I know sorry won't ever fix the pain I put you through but I promise you you are not any of the things I said. I love you so fucking much that it scares the shit out of me. Every time I see you I get these butterflies and this weird knot in my stomach and it grosses me out. But every time I'm with you, you see me for me. The real me. The one where I don't have to put up a front just so people don't see how broken I am."

Poppy stared at the boy as he continued his speech. She felt the pain in his voice. She felt the regret in his voice. And she wanted so badly to just shut him up so she could feel her lips on his again. So that's exactly what she did. She kissed him.

To say Riven was surprised would be an understatement. But he kissed her back. Not too long before they separated because they needed some air.

Riven pressed his forehead against the girl's. "That's one way of shutting me up."

Poppy chuckled as she inhaled the familiar smell of cologne that she loved. "I know you didn't mean anything you said. I forgive you."

"But?" Riven asked. He knew there was something else. 

Poppy sighed. "But, it'll take me some time to get over it. I just need some time."

Riven nodded. "Take all the time you need. You know where to find me when you're ready." The boy kissed the girl's forehead one last time before heading to the door.

"Hey Riv?" The boy turned around. "I love you."

Riven smiled. "I love you too."

Both of them didn't know where their relationship stand, but they did know that once everything went back to normal, they would be together again.