TWENTY-SIX

Poppy's plans of telling Riven she was ready to be with him again failed because all specialists were needed at the barrier. The girl didn't know what the hell was going on. All she got was a text from Terra telling her to be careful.

Way to be detailed Terra.

"I'm scared." Freya said to the girl as they walked towards the barrier with everyone.

"Me too." Poppy held the girl's hand.

The girls finally got to the barrier as they listened to the close instructions from Silva. Soon Sky and Riven joined the group. Everyone was on edge.

The girl could hear the Burned Ones from every direction. But she also heard someone say her name.

"Poppy. Poppy." The girl turned her head to the direction but nothing. Someone was trying to get in her head, but she didn't know who. The voice sounded familiar but she couldn't pinpoint who it was. Maybe she was imagining it? She tried her best to remain calm but it didn't help her heart was pounding out of her chest. That was until she felt someone's hands on hers. She looked to her right to see Riven. He smiled at the girl.

"We'll be ok." Riven whispered. Poppy smiled as she turned her attention back to the forest.

"How many of them are there?" Aisha asked, walking up to the girl as everyone turned around to see the girl.

"Get to school! You shouldn't be this close to the Barrier." Dowling said to the girl.

"It's no time for extra credit." Silva added.

"I'm not looking for extra credit." Aisha said. "I'm here because you need to know what's happening." With that Aisha, Dowling, and Professor Harvey left to go back to the school leaving the group of specialists with Silva to protect the barrier. This gave some down time for the two.

Poppy and Riven stood near the car, shining the flashlight in different directions. The girl wanted to say something but was it really the appropriate time right now?

"Hey Riv?" The boy hmed in response. "I'm ready."

The boy turned to look at the girl. "You are?"

Poppy nodded. "More than anything."

Riven chuckled. "You know this isn't the ideal place to get back together."

"I know. But I just wanted to tell you just in case something happens."

"Nothing's gonna happen. I'll make sure of it."

The girl touched the boy's cheek, caressing it. "I love you."

Riven kissed her hand. "I love you more. When this is all over, I'll promise to be the best boyfriend ever. Get you all the stuffed penguins you want."

Before the girl can say anything they heard one of the specialists say, "I think the Burned One's through there. Pull it up again." Everyone watched the video on her phone. It was Noura screaming and running away. No one really wanted to watch it especially Poppy. "I recognize the hollow Noura ran past."

"Right, let's go." Silva said.

"Wait, wait. Without fairies?" Riven asked. "We counted at least six Burned Ones. That's fucking stupid."

"School." The girl heard. "They're in the school." Where the hell was this coming from? "School. Poppy! School."

Just then the snarling noises got louder but it wasn't in the forest, it was coming from the school. The girl didn't know what was going on. She didn't know who's voice that was telling her.

But she knew right now, she had to be strong. And she had to protect the people she loved.