THIRTY

Am I dead?

Poppy looked around her, scanning the old, big house she was in. It looked familiar but she couldn't remember. 

"Poppy." The girl turned around. "Poppy."

"Who's there?" Poppy asked as she turned around to see nothing. 

"Poppy."

The girl tried really hard to figure out where the voice was coming from.

"Poppy!"

Right when the girl turned around, she was met with a Burned One. She reached inside her jacket for her trusted knife she always had, only for it not to be in there. There was no way in hell she'll be able to fight this with her bare hands. Just when the Burned One raised its hand to hurt her, it disappeared.

The girl opened her eyes to see someone. "Mum?"

The woman in front of her smiled. "Hi Poppy Pops."

"Are you real?" The woman nodded. "Mum." The girl immediately hugged her. "What are you doing here?"

"You're in heaven sweetie."

"I'm in what now?" Poppy's eyes widened. She died?

"C'mon. You look hungry." Her mom led her through the long hallway and into a big dining room with various pastries and tea on the table. "Help yourself."

"So this is what heaven is like. I could get use to this." Poppy took a croissant and sat across from her mom. Her mom died when she was only 4 years old, so she didn't have many memories with her.

"I've been trying to communicate with you."

It all made sense now. "You were the voice."

"I was. I always thought you'll find out sooner."

"Find out what sooner?" Poppy asked, confused.

"You're a fairy Poppy."

"I'm what now?"

There was no way. How was it possible? 

Her mom chuckled. "You're a fairy. A future fairy, just like me."

"A future fairy?"

The woman nodded. "You can predict the future. It has been passed down for generations down my bloodline and usually the voice in your head is your mum's. You're no different."

"But how?" Poppy asked. 

"Usually the powers don't kick in until something big happens."

"So when I died, it kicked the powers?" Her mom nodded as she sipped some tea. "Wow. Does that mean Sky's one too?"

She chuckled. "No. It can only be passed down to the daughter."

"So what does this mean?"

"That's for you to find out." The girl groaned. "But I need to tell you. Your father is planning something."

"He's still alive?"

She nodded. "Very alive, and very well. But he's planning something with Rosalind. I don't know what but please be careful."

"How can I be careful if I don't know what I'm facing?"

"Pretend to be on his side. Use the daughter card. He always had a soft spot for you. Use it to your advantage. You'll know when it's the right time to turn him in. But don't tell him you're a future fairy."

"What happens if he already knows?"

"He won't. He didn't know I was one."

Poppy sighed. "Can I tell Sky?"

"That's up to you if you really trust him." Suddenly the door behind them opened. "It's your time to go."

"Go where?"

"To reality."

"But I'm not ready."

"Yes you are sweetie. Remember I'm always here for you. You'll know when to sumin me."

"Mum..."

And without even a proper goodbye, the girl was taken away into the glowing door.