A dock at sunrise

Ed cast another withering glance to the beach behind him, his neck practiaclly aching at how many times he had done that. Red streaked the clouds as dawn broke and yet Stede still was not here- Had something gone wrong? Was he caught fleeing?
If he didn't arrive anytime soon they would both be caught. Ed's gut knotted at all these concerns but he swept them aside, simply setting his gaze back on the brightening horizon as he continued to wait.When it started to get risky to remain, Ed heaved his body up to prepare the boat but a crash in the bushes had him whipping his head to the sound. That familiar face and ruddy cheeks caused such a wave of relief to crash over him, blackbeard nearly dropped to his knees. However, just as quickly that comfort hit him, his heart sunk right though his feet at the sight of blood on Stede. He stumbled over to him, grabbing his face as he scanned for a source of the bleeding.

"S-Stede! Are you hurt? What happened? Who's blood is this?" The darker haired man blurted out, lifting up the other's shirt to check for wounds but he was promptly ushered to stop his fussing.

"Im fine! Im fine! It's not my blood. I uh.. ran into a speck of trouble earlier but I'm here now. Let's just get in the boat and I will explain then." Stede reassured.

Once the pair had put some distance between them and the dock, Ed took the edge of his sleeve and began wipping off the blood as Stede rowed. "Now will you tell what all this is about?"

Stede pursed his lips before sighing and explaining his run in with the Admiral and how he shot himself in the head. The fair haired man's gaze had been on the sea but he slowly shifted it to meet Ed's and was surpised to see how much rage stirred in them. Yet the wrath was quickly replaced with a more tender look as he leaned back and let out a breathy chuckle.

"Just as well he accidently killed himself. I would have done a lot worse" Ed promised.

That statement was easy to believe. And as heartwarming the care Ed showed was, it was soured with the venemous words of a dead man. Badmiton's raving imbeded into Stede like thorns under the skin, constantly somewhere in the back of his mind, weakening him with every repetition of what he said.

The pair made small conversation on their journey and soon the sun set bringing star speckled darkness in its wake. The two lay down on the bottom of the boat and huddled close to keep away the sea's chill. Stede tossed and turned, failing to find a comfrotable postion when he was so used to expensive beds.

"Will you stop that. It's like sleeping next to an eel!" Ed snapped.

With a huff, Ed grabbed the squirming man and pulled him close to rest his head on his chest as he wrapped a sturdy arm around him. The gentleman pirate smiled, a warm feeling blooming in his chest as he melted into his lover's embrace. In moments like this, where the sea blended into the nightsky and nothing existed beyond the darkness, it was easy to pretend it was only them that existed. All their problems, all the people. It all disappeared, even their identities didn't matter; they were just two lovers in a boat.

Stede planted a gentle kiss on Ed's stubbled jaw, trailing it up to corner of his mouth, by which point blackbeard placed a hand on the back of Stede's head and captured his lips in a kiss. Stede deepened it as he slid a hand under the unbuttoned top of Ed's shirt to graze his fingers on skin damp with sea spray and sweat. The couple remained entangled in their kiss until they needed to break away for air, their lips still inches away as their hot breaths mingled. Stede marvelled the way the man's dark eyes refelected a sky full of stars and his comforting smell of sea brine and gunpowder that enveloped them. Such a juxipostion of his own smell of lavender but Ed loved it, revelled in the delicate fragrance even.

As Stede rested there, Ed taught him of stars and constellations pirates used as navigation, his voice trailing off when he noticed the other's breathing shift to a slow ebb and flow. With a final and tender kiss to his forehead, Ed put his free arm under his head and let his eyelids droop. A feeling of contentment settled over him. He had gotten jaded with life but this eccentric man had breathed fresh air into lungs which were filling with sea water.

-

The harsh glare of a cloudless sky roused ed from his slumber. When his eyes adjusted he noticed the boots either side his head before his attention was brought to the round smiling face of Stede who sat above him.

"We're near the Revenge!" He exclaimed.

Ed's brows furrowed-- they were still a way off from the ship last night, just how early did Stede wake up and start rowing? Now that he thought about it, the shadows under his eyes did seem deeper. Alas, he just assumed it was the cramped sleeping situation that disturbed his sleep.

Before they knew it, the pair reached that familiar ship and were climbing the ladder to be greeted by the elated faces of their crew as they moved in with open arms, embracing their old captain the gentleman pirate.

"You lot get back to work! What's all this noise about?" Izzy Hands barked, striding towards the commotion. Surpise overtook his hardened face at the sight of Blackbeard in the crowd-- except he was missing that defining feature that earned him such a name. Nonetheless, the loyal right hand man was still happy to see his captain and gave him a stiff pat on the back.

"Knew you'd escape" Izzy rasped with a respectful nod that conveyed about as much emotion as this repressed man could manage.
The rest of the crew pestered the couple until they revealed the story of their great escape from service to the king. They both happily shared it, taking turns to retell the theatrical tale as the other gazed adoringly at them.

After settling back in with the new managment and catching up over a dinner cooked by Roach, everyone retired to their quarters for the night. Stede closed his cabin's door and Ed was already at his ornate desk, popping open a decanter of expensive whiskey and pouring them both a tipple in a decoratively carved glass. Ed handed him the drink and raised his own with an impish grin.

"To the gentleman pirate and Blackbeard! We live to fight another fucking day."

They both downed their drinks and Ed was already pouring them another before perching on the edge of the desk and pulling Stede in between his legs by his waist. His fingers didn't leave Stede's waistband they were hooked on as he locked eyes with the gentle hazel ones of his companion.

"So what's our game plan, hm? We can go anywhere we want, anytime we want. We can retire already, just like you said. It can be just us. We need to decide soon, don't " Ed excitedly rambled, such a hopeful glint in his eye it made Stede's heart ache.

What had he done to Blackbeard? He had turned the most revered pirate alive into a tamed house cat with no wants except to retire. And to boot he was the reason blackbeard lost his beard as well. The Admiral was right. He tried so desperately to ignore him, to belive his words as nothing more than blades meant to cut but there was truth behind them, there's no denying that. But maybe he could fix things, maybe he could change blackbeard's mind

Stede cupped Ed's cheek with a sad sort of smile as he said, "Are you sure you're ready to... throw in the towel? I mean, your legacy is so widespread it would be a shame to just let it all go. You've still got some kick in you, why not keep going for a year or two. Make the most of the name you've made for yourself. Besides, retirement can get dreadfully boring."

Ed's gaze lowered as his hand dropped into his lap, shaking his head before speaking, "Stede... I'm done with all that. I've seen and done it all... it just doesn't make me...happy anymore. You do"

"Well....What if i'm not ready to give up my sea legs?" Stede mumbled.

Blackbeard let out a withering sigh, hanging his head as he pondered for a moment, "Let's talk about this another time" Was all he said before pushing off the desk and getting into bed, ending the conversation. Stede followed soon after yet sleep did not come to him as quickly, instead he woefully stared at the slumbering man, his face so peaceful and gentle he looked more like a saint than a cut-throat pirate.

He was the problem. It had been Stede all along. He ruined a beautiful woman in her prime, he ruined the lives of his now fatherless children and he ruined the greatest pirate to ever live. No amount of convincing or fixing would help Ed. He was better off without Stede, he knew that now. Thus, a plan began to hatch.