The fear of loss

Agitation and restlessness overtook Blackbeard after his visit with Stede, he couldn't sit still and his brain ached for a distraction from the unwanted feelings seeping back in. Fortunately, a large ship was on the horizon and with a few words he had them steering right to it. Sure it was risky to tackle a ship bigger than the ones they had attacked before with such a small group of men but maybe a challenge was just what he needed to get his mind off things.

The time had come and pirates were jumping onto their deck with murderous looks in their eyes and cutlass' in hand. The first thing the battle weary Blackbeard noticed was the sheer number of men; it was a lot more than he anticipated but there was no time to back out, he had to fight quick and be clever. Thankfully such qualities came to him naturally and to the 3 hand picked men who fought at his side. At first, things were looking good; he was maiming, slicing and men were falling around him. Just like old times. This was exactly the kind of outlet he needed and for a brief moment he felt okay. But life was cruel and a moment of relief cost him far more anguish. He turned and was greeted wtih a familiar face that made the dismay Stede caused seem like childsplay. With a thud Hornigold landed on their deck and rushed directly at Blackbeard to engage in combact, their blades whining as Blackbeard parried agasint him and jumped back. Despite wearing leather, Blackbeard was nimble and fleetfooted as he fought, almost making their duel look like an effortless dance. But Hornigold knew he was making his old right hand man sweat.

"Edward Teach, fancy seeing you again. Shame it had to be on such hostile terms. We could've shared a drink if you didn't attack my ship" Hornigold chided in the way he always did when Blackbeard worked under him.

The pirate in leather grit his teeth and tried to sweep Hornigold with his leg as they were caught in another parry but he grabed his leg and pulled, causing Blackbeard to hit the ground with such force the air was pushed from his lungs.

---

Down in the Brig Stede was pacing with anxiety as he listened to the battle above them. He was snapped out of his fretting by Black Pete's excited voice. He looked to the bars and rushed over to greet his beloved scribe Lucius, "oh my boy, you're still alive!" He exclaimed before politely averting his gaze when he and Black Pete kissed through the bars.

"It's great to see you too babe. And of course I'm still alive, I had to hide in the walls of the ship when your boyfriend threw me into the ocean to die!" Lucius snapped as he fumbled with some keys, "Anyway, things are looking shit up there and I don't want us all to die because of Blackbeard's death wish so im freeing you all to help out"

Stede smiled, thanking Lucius as he swung open their door before running to the deck and picking up a dagger on the floor. He scanned the fray before noticing Blackbeard on his back with a forboding pirate stood over him. Pure instinct and adrenaline seized Stede and his wound didn't even hurt as he hurled at the pirate and plunged his dagger into his upper back.

"Son of a bitch!" Hornigold exclaimed, whipping around to Stede and swinging his cutlass, leaving a deep gash across the blonde's chest. Stede's eyes widened along with Blackbeard's as he stumbled back, staring at the crimson that coated his hands before he dropped like a stone.

Fear like nothing Ed had felt before overwhelmed him and he surged forward, something wild and broken in his eyes now as he tackled Hornigold to a post and pressed his blade to his throat but Hornigold just smugly raised a brow.

"Hit a nerve did I? Did that fool mean something to you? Tut Tut, I thought I taught you not to have pets" He drawled, raising his hands in surrender as Blackbeard only pressed his sword harder.

The pirate in leather looked around him, Stede's crew had managed to cut down a large number of men and things were in their favour if they continued the fight. Blackbeard took his dagger and plunged in into the hand that cut down Stede before backing away from Hornigold.

"Get off my fucking ship" He roared, and thankfully the rival crew understood they were losing and followed their instructions.

"This isn't over Edward. I heard there's a few people who are looking for you, maybe they'll pay well for you. Dead or alive" Hornigold threated, craddling his hand as they returned to their own ship.