Chapter 4

Kamar made it a point for me to dress elegant and unarmed. He didn't want our guest to feel threatened, even if he could probably kill us all. I didn't think Kamar knew how powerful he was. The man almost choked me to death and he wasn't even touching me. I knew how confident Kamar was, but I didn't want that to cloud his judgement. My dark blue dress touched the floor as I walked, but there was a slit going up each thigh, revealing my entire leg when I walked. The top was a corset, revealing bare shoulders and arms as my breasts were pushed up to my neck. It was a little uncomfortable, but I had to admit that it was a gorgeous dress. I usually wouldn't have picked something so revealing, but Kamar wanted me to look a little "spicy" for our guest. I jokingly told him I better not be offered up as a gift, and he just grinned before leaving the room. It unsettled me, but I was trying to trust him even when every fiber of my being told me not to.

My two vampire bodyguards were on either side of me, both looking very stunning in their black and blue button ups. Kamar picked the color theme for the evening like he always did, and I was impressed by how well the ballroom turned out. Everything was sparkling and there was food laid out on buffet tables. Dark blue drapes hung from the ceiling and was tied to the side of each window. My stomach growled at all of the yummy desserts, and I was quite surprised considering I didn't need human food to survive. Maybe my mortal self still just wanted some.

Kamar hadn't entered the room yet, but I did see my beloved Damarius standing next to Shard. The light skin demon who had the glowing blue eyes and long black hair braided down his back. I felt like it had been a while since I had seen him, and I was honestly glad to see him doing well. The last time I saw him was before the triune began, so I made my way over to them with Mason and Tristan at my side. Shard was wearing a dark blue button up with black pants, leaving a few of the buttons undone at the top.

"You know Kamar will want those buttoned," I teased him as he batted those blue eyes at me.

"Then perhaps his Queen will do the honor?"
His reply was unexpected and it made my cheeks turn red. "I'm not the Queen."
"You are at the King's side at his worst and best times. I'd say that if you are not his Queen, what are you then?"

I hesitantly buttoned his shirt after glancing at Damarius to see if he was okay with it. I didn't want him to think I was interested in another man. As odd as it may sound, even though I was sleeping with two men, I was loyal to them and cared about how they felt. I was never into poly relationships, so I was unfamiliar with the rules if there were any. I never put this much thought into it. Maybe I should bring this up with them later. It was easier to approach Damarius with these things rather than Kamar. He was so comforting and patient, and I really admired his calmness.

"I have no desire to be Queen," I replied to Shard after I finished buttoning his shirt and let my hands fall to my sides. I looked into those blue eyes and wondered what went on behind those eyes. What did he do when he wasn't with us? I didn't know anything about this man except that he was at the top of the rank in Kamar's men. When Kamar was in his meetings and didn't require him at his side, he would send him off to take care of the vampires. But what all that entailed I didn't know, and wasn't sure if I'd be better off not knowing.

Damarius must have noticed my mood change because he held out his hand and excused us. He led me over to the side of the room as I scanned all of the faces. I had seen a bunch of these faces around the castle, but there were also some I didn't recognize.

"You look beautiful, Vanessa," Damarius said with his arm around my waist. His tall body towered over mine as I stood beside him. I looked at him and took in that dark blue suit and black dress shirt. I knew how strong that body was underneath those clothes, and I tried to force myself to forget when we were this close. A small smile curved his lips and he leaned down to kiss my cheek.