Chapter 9

Lou led me to King Vali's private dining room that was very secluded from the rest of the castle. There were two guards at the bottom of a staircase that led up into the room where King Vali was waiting for me.

"This is as far as anyone goes," Lou said as we stood there looking up the stairs. He turned to me. "The King hasn't had a private dinner with anyone since his Queen passed. Please remain respectful and sit up straight when addressing him. And most of all, enjoy your meal." He gave a small smile and walked away.

     I glanced at the two guards in their armor of steel and red sash going across their chest. There was a black outline of a jasmine flower on the shoulder of the sash; I wondered if King Vali had that made after his wife's passing.

I walked passed the two guards and lifted up my dress as I went up the stairs. It was a very tall staircase without any rails, so the only thing I had to grab if I fell was the torches on the wall and a prayer. It had been a while since I worked out, and usually I would be winded after taking a hiatus, but my new power fueled me like I never missed a day.

I got to the top of the stairs and stood there taking in the circular room. The ceiling was completely glass, showing a starlit sky and moon shining down on the room. There were dark green vines hanging from the ceiling, along with beautiful green plants sitting against the walls. There were candles everywhere, including on top of a small circular table made of stone in the center of the room. It was big enough for only two people to dine at, and the chairs were made of stone as well but they had beautiful red cushions on them to make seating more comfortable. There were two plates on the table, both including steak, grilled cabbage, and a small piece of bread. There were also two chalices filled with red wine and shiny silverware lying on white cloths beside the plates. King Vali was standing next to the table wearing the same white blouse as earlier, but this time he didn't have his red mantle on. His pants were black and well fitted, and his boots were black as well. This seemed like his relaxed outfit around the house if a vampire King got to walk around his home when nobody was there. My only thought was, why was he doing this for me? Why was he showing me this kind of comfortability?

He pulled out my chair and said with a smile, "Have a seat."

"Thank you," I said as I rested my hands on my lap while I waited for him to take his seat. My heart was beating faster so I took a few deep breaths to slow it down.

"I hope you like the food. This used to be one of my favorite meals when I first became King."

I stared at the steak to see that it was cooked medium well and there was still some steam coming off the cabbage.

"Do you like the dress?" He asked, and I looked up from the food to meet his eyes. His black hair made his pale skin look even whiter as it rested on top of his shoulders. The contrast was so extreme with his vampire blue eyes and black hair that it was hard not to take a second glance to make sure he was real.

"The dress is beautiful." I answered plainly, trying to keep my composure.

"I do hate that our first time meeting is under these circumstances, but I will do everything in my power to make your stay a pleasurable one." He grabbed his fork and knife and began cutting into the steak. I didn't even have an appetite right now and all I could think about was Kamar and Damarius. I also wondered where Shard was hiding and if King Vali knew anything about it.

"Vanessa?"

My name being called kicked me out of my thoughts and King Vali was sitting there staring at me with a curious face.

"I'm sorry. I don't want to be rude or offend you. You have been very gracious and generous to me since I arrived. From giving me my own room, the dress, to this wonderful dinner. But all I can think about is my men. I cannot enjoy myself until I know they are safe and I am back with them."