Chapter 12

I changed into a white blouse and black trousers before sitting on the edge of the bed. My mind was racing with anxiety as I thought about what I just did. I was relieved my power was controllable again, but I was drowning in guilt and wanted to talk to Damarius. All of this was happening because of shit Kamar did, and I just wanted to confront him about all of this.

                I opened the door and my vampire guards were standing there as if nothing had happened. I knew they heard us, and the thought was enough to turn my cheeks red. I closed the door behind me and began walking down the hallway.

"Where are you going?" Mason asked as they followed closely behind me.

"I need to see Damarius. I can't keep hiding here while shit breaks loose back at the castle."

"Wait," Mason said as they both blocked me from going any further. "We cannot leave while King Vali has the place on lockdown. They are searching everywhere for a demon."

I noticed he chose his words carefully incase someone was listening, so that was comforting to know he was trying to stay loyal to me.

"Where is King Vali?"

"He's still with his men. I'm sure he will summon you when he's ready."

I glared up at Mason with heavy impatience and watched him sigh. "I know, Vanessa. But there's nothing we can do."

I had to think of a way to get Shard's ass back to the castle and check on my men. I knew the task Shard wanted to complete, but murdering the vampire Queen again was going to have to wait. I needed to check on Damarius and see how they were doing, but I was a little scared to try and summon him in my dreams again. What if I summoned him at a bad time and got him killed? I felt like I didn't have any other options, and I prayed that there was a God that would protect him.

"I guess we will wait in the room until he's ready. Let's go," I said to them, and invited them in my room.

"It is best if we wait outside to guard the door," Tristan said as I shut the door behind them and locked it. I approached them very closely so only their ears would hear me.

"Can you help me fall asleep?"

"We can try to put you in a trance, but we don't know how well your power will respond to us. You will need to let down your defenses so you are more susceptible. Why do you ask?" Mason asked.

"That's how I'm able to talk to Damarius, and maybe Shard. But I'm too stressed right now to fall asleep. If I can get Shard to leave, will that make King Vali happy?"

"I doubt it."

"Wait. How does he know a demon came through in the first place?" I asked curiously.

"The two vampires guarding the portal felt a demonic presence walk by them, but they couldn't see it."

"So they locked down the place without hard evidence?"

"A demonic presence isn't taken lightly here. Those guards are trained to feel energies and shifts in the air. I know what you're thinking, but even without hard evidence, they will still be convinced someone crossed over," Mason replied as I crawled into bed.

"I'll figure something out. Can one of you do this trance?"

Tristan nodded. "I will. You guard the door."

Mason went to go do just that as Tristan crawled on the bed towards me. I remembered how I felt him earlier and his hands on my hips; I had to push those thoughts away as my cheeks blushed again. He had been acting a little off since then, which made me think he was embarrassed too. He positioned himself on top of me in a push-up position that I wasn't expecting.