Chapter 20

"If that is all, you are both dismissed. I do not want to hear anymore about my wife, is that clear?"

Damarius gave a nod and we gave him another bow before they left the room. I hated that he wasn't listening to us. Even though I personally didn't care for this man, I didn't want him to die if I could prevent it.

    They made it to the doorway when a strong scent of blood entered my nose. But it wasn't just any blood... I looked over and saw Damarius slicing open his hand. I grabbed his wrist without thinking to try and stop him but his energy reassured me it was all right. I slowly released him and turned my attention to the doorway. Lucia swung around so fast that King Vali couldn't grab her quick enough. My eyes shifted, scythe forming in my hand as she bolted towards us. King Vali's guards were already drawing their weapons as I turned to the side so I would have them in my view.

"Lucia!" King Vali called, but she didn't care. She made it to Damarius and he lifted up his hand. Her body froze in place as she levitated above the floor. Her eyes were black, mouth gaping wide open flashing her fangs. You could see the veins popping out of her neck and face, but the intensity in her eyes is what really captivated me. I hadn't seen Damarius use this kind of power before, and I was quite impressed that he could control her so easily. I put my focus back on the vampire guards and waited for one of them to make a move.

"Don't!" King Vali ordered, but I couldn't tell if he was talking to us or his guards. He walked up to Lucia, slowly circling around to see her face as if he had to build himself up to look at her. And then he froze beside Damarius.

"Is this hurting her... her being frozen like this?" His voice was almost a whisper.

"No. But her being alive like this is. She is trapped inside of her own body without control. Nothing she does or says is her own words. Her only purpose is to drink blood, and preferably from the strongest being that is available."

"You're telling me none of this is her? But before the blood she acted fine. She had a few twitches but her voice... it sounded the same."

Damarius replied. "I know. The only thing you can know for sure is that your wife is in there. She can see you. But her actions are not her own."

King Vali gently touched her face and then turned to me. "You can dream walk. Can you take me with you to see her?"

I froze, not sure if that was a good idea considering Lucia could tell King Vali that Damarius was there after she was murdered. If he found out that he was the one that did it, there would be a full blown war between vampires and demons. 

I responded calmly. "I can't. I'm sorry."

"But you did it before."

"Yes, when she was in a deep sleep."

"Then allow me." King Vali did the unthinkable and hit his wife in the back of the head so hard that her levitating body went limp. Blood leaked from her head, running down her neck as Damarius gently put her on the ground. The veins disappeared beneath her skin as her face relaxed, resembling something much more angelic now.

"Now you can do it." King Vali said as he clasped his hands together. I looked at Damarius, in total shock at what just happened.

"My Queen doesn't feel comfortable performing this task."

"Can you even call her your Queen if her accession to the throne hasn't been announced?" His words were meant to offend us but Damarius knew he was just lashing out because I was refusing to help.

"As I mentioned before, there was no time for formalities. If you want us to help put her to rest, we will. But she cannot stay alive in this state."

"I will choose what happens to her!" He shouted, kneeling down beside Lucia to gently rub her face. Her blood covered his hand as he supported the back of her head, pulling her closer to his body to rest her head on his leg.