Chapter 8

Vali called upon Lou to take me to a room where I would be resting. Mason and Tristan took post outside of my door, and although that would usually relax me knowing I had protection, it didn't today. Probably because they wanted to keep me here and I was hell bent on getting back to that castle. Now that I knew Kamar had still been lying to me, my feelings for him were so confused and angry. I had so many mixed emotions, and none of them were good. If I got back to that castle anytime soon, I was worried of what I would do to him.

The room Vali gave me felt very isolated without a balcony or another door to the outside. The only window in here was the red stained glass and I couldn't even see through it. I felt my power stirring in my stomach and it made me clench my fist. I knew how easily I could break this window but I didn't know what the outside looked like. I didn't even know if I was in the same country. I had to play this smart or I could end up getting my guards killed. I sighed. I had to communicate with Damarius somehow, and I knew exactly how to do that without anyone else finding out.

        I slipped out of my dress and looked through the dresser for a change of clothes. I felt weird going through someone else's drawers but I couldn't sleep in that dress. I found a pair of men's black tights and a long sleeve white tunic that covered my butt. I didn't have any luck finding a bra or shoes so I would have to ask my guards for that later. I climbed into bed and pulled the covers over me as I tried to fall asleep. My breathing was slowing as I blocked out the voices in the hallway and focused on my body. I was relaxed... so relaxed I felt myself drifting away from reality...

       I was in the same clothes I fell asleep in as I ran through the woods in my bare feet.

"Damarius!" I screamed, looking around to see if anyone was chasing me. Why was I running in the first place? I glanced behind me to hear tree branches snapping but they came from all directions as if it was more than one person. I panicked and tried to run faster, but my foot got caught on a vine and I was sent flying forward. I landed on my stomach and began crawling away, but then my body started to sink into the dirt.

"Damarius!" I screamed again, this time much louder and desperate for his help. I placed my hand over his mark on my chest and said, "Please save me."

"Vanessa!" Damarius said as he dropped from the sky and grabbed my hand. He pulled me out of the dirt and into his arms as we teleported to a grassy hill under the moon. I didn't want to pull away as we stood there with his arms wrapped around me.

"It's always good to see you," I said as I pulled back to look up at him. He had on black dress pants, a dark blue button up with a few undone at his neck revealing his bare chest. I immediately wanted to kiss his skin but when I leaned in he stopped me.

"You're asleep Vanessa, but we are real. You summoned me," he said as he touched the side of my face. But he didn't seem like his usual self. His body seemed to flicker in and out like he was having trouble staying in the dream with me.

"Damarius, what's going on at the castle?"

"Warden has chosen to fight Kamar for the throne already, and me. We need you for the triune. Where are you?"

"I'm with the vampires. King Vali has me in a room with Mason and Tristan. I don't know my exact location. Are you fighting right now? Is it safe for you to be here with me?"

"I only have a moment. He knocked me on the floor but his men are rushing in. He's going to kill Kamar if I don't help him. Vanessa we need you."

"Fuck. I'll find a way back. Please stay alive!"

His body phased out and I could no longer see him. I could feel my heartbeat racing and I heard voices coming from inside the bedroom. I woke up and my power unleashed, throwing whoever was trying to wake me into the wall. I opened my hand as my scythe formed and I felt my eyes turn. I was standing up on the bed ready to swing when I finally saw who it was. Tristan grabbed my arms and tried to restrain me as Mason helped King Vali to his feet.