chapter 3

Harry Edward Styles

unedited

I never thought a day would come where I'd be coming back to Maine, let alone standing in my Little Red's house

I know I don't get to call her that, we aren't close anymore - and that's my own fault. But when she promised to help me that has to stand for something, right?

Then again, she did stab me in the arm.

Considering the circumstances of me breaking into her apartment, passing out on her sofa - that mysteriously wasn't there when I came back - and helping myself to her pristine bathroom, I'd say her reaction was justified, in my humble opinion.

Not that anyone seems to care about anything that comes from my mouth these days.

That's why it was so important for me to get Lilli to write me a new album. If I had the talent, I would ... but I don't. Lilli was always the writer.

I would sit behind her in math class, her pager would be ringing off the hook and it would annoy the shit out of the teacher. But it was just me. Asking what she was writing vigorously in her lavender notebook. She would shake her head and even from behind her small frame, I knew she was rolling her eyes. It was a habit of hers. I never complained and I see she never broke it, even to this day.

Lilli would turn around with the cutest glare and small smile, trying to intimidate me and I would let her think she did. Her lavender pages would soon be sheltered as she tries to shield the pages from any wandering eyes (mainly mine). The cover of the notebook was covered in splotchy ink and weird notes Niall and I would write while she ran after us, trying to get it back.

We would pretend to read the lyrics, but secretly we both cared about her a bit too much to invade her privacy. We knew better than to mess with her trust.

Until we didn't. Or me, in this case.

I used to worship the ground she walked on, I still do. To everyone else stealing from your best friend is a really bad thing, forbidden - and dammit, I knew that already. It's hard to explain, but it had to be done.

Lilli didn't want to hear that, though. Or maybe she did. I'm not sure how to read her mind anymore... and it kills me.

I know her lips twitch upwards when she thinks I said something stupid.

I can tell when she's pretending to like something to make me feel better, her nose would scrunch and she'd give her head a little shake as if to get it out of her head.

Sometimes she would catching me staring at her and she'll wrinkle her lips with a blush and turn to look ahead, ignoring me.

I wonder what she does now... I wonder if she pulls her hair when she's anxious like she used to before an exam.