~Chapter 1~

"Bet you can't catch me!" Tails yelled happily to his friend Sonic.

"Oh, I bet I can!" He yelled back, picking up his pace slightly as he chased after Tails, who was flying around the place. The two of them, being joined by two other people, were fooling around the nearby baseball court. After the whole 'Dr Eggman' thing, the group were relaxing, having only previously experienced near-death. It almost seemed like the end of the world, but with the help of the Master Emerald, everything was ok again.

Oh, and me? Well I'm hiding in a hedge, watching the group interact and have fun. I'm Y/n, the A/t, and I've been searching the universe for other supernatural beings whom I could relate to. These two, who I've been watching for a while since my arrival on Earth, seem similar to me but I just can't reveal myself yet. They've just fought against a super-powerful villain, they don't need me barging into their lives just yet. And plus, they might just think I'm an evil intruder, or something like that...

I continued to look on at the group, but soon I realised that there was a new member, hiding in the 'car' behind the shadows. It was unsure what kind of being it was, but I was not about to leave my safe spot to investigate, however badly I wanted to.

But then it, or rather he, came out from the dark shadows, his fur glistening in the glaring sun. I stared in confused awe, but I quickly snapped out of my trance as both Tails and Sonic went up to the new figure, greeting him kindly.

"Knuckles, glad you could join us!" Sonic laughed, fist-bumping the red figure.

So his name was Knuckles, huh? Nice, yet familiar...

I continued to watch as the three of them started to talk, but then I realised something.

Knuckles... he's the last Echidna, isn't he?

I watched with increasing interest, but confused as to why he was here. I mean, should he be going after the Master Emerald? I moved slightly in an attempt to get a better look, but the bush I was hiding in rustled loudly. I covered my mouth in surprise.

I'd caught the attention of the others.

"Hey, what was that?" Tails exclaimed, looking in my direction.

"I don't know... let me take a look," Sonic replied.

My face went pale in fear.

I'm so screwed...