~Chapter 11~

Many weeks had passed since my last encounter with Knuckles. He became reserved, hanging out less with Sonic and Tails whenever they went out for excursions. Instead he would go back through the woods, where he gave me that tour so long ago- either that or he wouldn't leave the house at all.

Today, however, was a special sort of day. Tails had finished a new gadget and was excited to test it out at the baseball courts, which meant a 'family day out', or whatever Sonic said.

This time though, I was asked to join. Tails found me behind my usual bush and asked if I wanted to join them.

Sure, I wanted to stay behind and catch up on some much-needed rest, but this could be the start of becoming good friends with Tails, Sonic, maybe even Knuckles...

"Ok, sure," I muttered.

Tails smiled broadly before he got up and ran to the car. I followed quickly in pursuit and hopped onto the open back, sitting by Tails.

But only then did I realise that Knuckles had also joined us.

And he was not pleased to be there.

The journey to the baseball court was short, but seemed unbearably long due to the awkward tension created between me and Knuckles.

We both knew something was up with each other, yet we both didn't have the courage to face it.

"Ok, let's get this set up!" Tails grinned, jumping off the car and into the middle of the pitch, with his gadget in hand. I watched in intrigue, but I didn't notice how Knuckles would occasionally glance at me- until he made it a bit too obvious.

I chose to ignore it but knew that I'd have to confront him about it later.

Tails finished setting up the gadget and, as Sonic cheered loudly and joyously, turned it on. It made a loud mechanical noise, before whirring with electrical surges and finally setting off bright, wondrous lights. The lights were entrancing and closely mimicked the Aurora Borealis. I wasn't sure of Tails's intentions for this gadget, but it was most certainly amazing.

Suddenly, I felt a familiar gloved hand lightly hold mine. I looked to my right to see Knuckles kneeling against the inner part of the open back, his chin resting against the metal rim of it. His eyes were looking straight ahead at Tails's gadget, and he didn't notice my staring.

My eyes widened, and my cheeks began to burn. The way he held my hand was gentle, it wasn't firm or crushing. It was, to be honest, truly wonderful.

"Knuckles...?" I managed to mutter.

At this, he sort-of jerked his hand away, almost as if he had just realised what he was doing. A light sigh could be heard coming from his mouth, and I continued to stare at him until I was snapped out of my trance.

"Hey, y/n, Knuckles! What did you think of the gadget?" Tails exclaimed, his two tails moving quickly from side to side.

I smiled, giving a thumbs up.

I wanted to go over and congratulate him, give him some compliments about the machine.

But, yet again, I had something on my mind.