~Chapter 12~

A few hours later:

I had decided to join Sonic and the others at their home for that day. At first I didn't intend to stay for long, wanting to get back to my bush and lay comfortably with my own thoughts. But alas, I had been here for... a while.

Knuckles had been introduced to this new, quite interesting thing- Grape Soda.

Tom Wachowski, one of the humans that owned the house, had bought some for Knuckles to try. All in all, he loved it, unsurprisingly due to the fact that he loved grapes anyway.

The amount of sugar in the sodas he drank made him have a sugar rush, but it only seemed to make him more bold and sociable rather than hyper.

I sat calmly on the sofa whilst everyone was doing their own thing (Tom was in the Kitchen making some sort of omelette, Maddie was showering, and Sonic and Tails were in Sonic's room reading comics), and so I was left to relax and nap a bit.

That was until Knuckles came into the room.

He noticed me sitting on the sofa and joined me, sitting himself right next to me. Our arms brushed together as he did so, which made my face burn red.

"Y/n?" Knuckles spoke, "What are you doing?"

I looked at him and smiled slightly.

"I'm just relaxing, nothing much..."

There was silence, until Knuckles spoke up again.

"Ok. Can we talk? I have... some things on my mind."

My eyes widened slightly, but I nodded, intrigued at what he had to tell me.

"Well, y/n, I've been feeling weird around you lately. I don't know how to react to it, as I've never felt anything like this before... Am I ill? Have you cursed me?"

Ill? Cursed? I'm pretty sure I know what he's talking about, but I'm still super confused...

I chuckle softly, looking at Knuckles' confused expression.

"Knuckles, I haven't cursed you. And I doubt that you are ill. But maybe just talk to Tom about this. I would say you can talk to Sonic, but I'm guessing it... wouldn't go well."

Knuckles tilts his head in confusion.

"Tell Tom... about how I'm feeling? How do you suppose this will help?"

I shrug.

"I don't know, but It's best to check with him. He might know the answer..."

There was more silence between us, until Knuckles did something I didn't think he'd ever do, let alone to me.

He hugged me, his strong arms wrapping tightly around my body. His head rested on my shoulder, and I could feel his warm puffs of breath hitting my neck gently.

I froze up in surprise, but before I could react, he pulled away.

"I will go see if Tom is available to talk now." Knuckles finally spoke before getting up off the sofa and walking to the Kitchen. I was frozen still, managing to squeak out a reply before crumbling down completely. My face was bright red, and my heart was beating unusually quickly. I felt... weak, and very powerless against the feelings in my mind.

Moral of the story- let Knuckles have Grape Soda more often...

Maddie came into the room minutes later and noticed my flustered state.

"Hey, y/n, you okay there?"

I looked at Maddie and managed a lopsided smile. Immediately, it seemed that she knew what was going on.

"Ohh... y'know what, let's go to the garden," Maddie smiled sweetly, "We can discuss what you're feeling there..."