36. Forget Me Not (1)

PART ONE

Working alongside her sister was always a bonus when it came to taking breaks. They were able to take them together. Slipping the slimy gloves off, she washed her hands in the break room as the familiar tall figure entered the room.

In her world of thoughts, she flinched a little when she heard a heavy groan.

"Vee, I just had a patient who would not stop projectile vomiting." Aditi gagged, walking over to the sink and snatching the scrubber from her hands. She began scrubbing the living shit out of her arms and muttered. "By the way, how come I didn't see you get in last night? Did Akarsh give you a ride?"

Exhausted, she replied bitterly. "I wasn't with Akarsh."

She couldn't even begin to explain her current temperament, she had no idea if she was frustrated, annoyed or numb to it all.

Returning home did not go to plan, not when the missing Bellini brother had dropped such a major bombshell. He drank the rest of his coffee, smoked a blunt that was in his pocket and crashed in one of the spare rooms soon after his confession.

'He does this shit to get under my skin, mousey. Why are you leaving already? You don't have work tonight, stay.'

'I'm not staying here, your brother clearly doesn't like me. Besides don't you want to catch up, you haven't seen each other in years. I'm happy to catch a cab.'

'I get it. You're probably confused by what he said, but that's not what happened. Don't leave because of something untrue.'

'Erm, sure. It probably is a straightforward scene of events on how your brother killed a woman who was supposedly your wife, but I would like to pass on the storytime.'

'Vereena. I told you already, it's not what it seems... stop moving away from me.'

'I, um, I'm gonna go. I have that appointment I should get to, thanks for the dates. But I don't think we should continue from here on out.'

'You're seriously gonna get upset about this and not even let me explain? I thought it was made clear by now that I would never hurt you in any way. Don't go, baby.'

'I'm not upset. I just think it's for the best...'

And that was the end of that. She had never gotten her things and ran out of a place faster than she did.

She ended up getting home late since his place was far from her and locked herself in the bath the entire night.

Vereena was being super melodramatic but she did not know what else to do.

After all, if you find out the person you're dating had a hit out on his own lover, wouldn't any normal person be freaked the fuck out.

If it was so easy to get his wife killed for his selfish needs, then who knows what he would be willing to do to her.

That was his whole wife. A wife. You know bound together in holy matrimony and all that good shit.

She was barely even seeing the mobster, they had been on a few dates and knew each other fairly well. However, that was all. He would no doubt throw her into a sea of crocodiles if he needed to.

Her mundane life was not suited for the things he did so casually. The thought of murder freaked her out, rightfully so.

However, she saw a side of him that truly terrified her, he was trained to kill. This was his normal.

Maybe she had read the signs wrong and Akarsh was the right person for her all along...

Her frown returned. Fine, there was no way.

She liked Vito Bellini too much to act like he was easily replaceable.

Her sister nudged her arm, wiggling her brows playfully. "Who then? I barely see you anymore, you need to fill me in on all the tea."

Giving her little sister an eye roll, she wiped her wet hands dry with a nearby hand towel. "There is no tea, Adi. I'm tired of men, I'm not interested in anyone." Detected: Lie.

Big, juicy fat lie.

Wanting to change the topic, she headed over to the table that had their heated up curry on it and took a seat. "Enough about me. What has the Doc been up to?"

That seemed to perk up the overworked doctor as she gave her older sister a boisterous grin. She came down to sit next to her and pulled her phone out of her pocket. "Well, we finally set a date for the wedding, and you'll never believe it, Didi. Jahan's family are going to pay for everything, even our dresses!"

Seeing the happiness in her face was enough to make Vereena mimic. Opening her mouth, she poured out her excitement for her sister and her soon-to-be brother-in-law.

Forgetting about the mobster would be hard but she could do it. And it would begin by busying her mind with all sorts of things. Like the upcoming wedding festivities. She would not think about or talk to him.

Starting from now.

Alright, maybe, it was easier said than done.

Staring at the little brown bear perched on the middle of her bed, the nurse sighed for the umpteenth time that day and reached for the cuddly teddy.

Her shift felt like it was never-ending, it made her want to rip her hair out of her skull.

Her shower consisted of depressing sad songs and random thoughts about the killer.

Like the way he made her feel so whole. Or how his presence alone was the drug she was searching for.

Drugs. She could not remember the last time she had a hit of anything, it didn't seem to cross her mind anymore.

Sinking down on top of her sheets, she clutched the bear close to her chest and rested her head on her pillow.

The absent brother was the slap in the face she needed, the reality check that showed her just how insane her situation truly was.

She could go nowhere with someone that ends. The honeymoon phase was nice and sugar-sweet but that would disappear within a blink of an eye.

Her life would only be in continuous danger if she continued to allow him in.

Vito Bellini was to be feared at all times, even when he seemed completely harmless.

And she finally understood that.