Chapter 1: Chaos Effect

Flann was sitting around a small bonfire, seeking warmth on a cold morning. Around the fire were a few of her peers, priests and priestesses of Light who were enjoying what idleness they could before the day began. The sun had not yet risen; the cloudy sky to the west was purple with the early light of the sun. 

Flann looked around her. A few soldiers of Luxurum emerged from tents near the fire, and more were coming from beyond, speaking together in hushed voices. Flann sighed, knowing that the peaceful morning had come to an end. She rose and brush some dirt off of her standard-issue legionnaire warrobe, a sturdy yet flexible garment. She waited there a moment, hoping to see Walgen before attending her responsibilities.

She was currently on a campaign on the northern front of her home kingdom, Luxurum. The war-band was somewhere in the highlands between two villages. They were headed further north, to the village of Kriesgrab, which was recently attacked by the creatures of Chaos, demons from another realm. Reinforcements were needed badly, as the war had been going on for over fifteen years; human populations were dwindling and the flow of demons seemed endless still.

Much had happened since her rescue from the native realm of the demons; she had been taken to the nearest city, Magnanimia, in the east of Luxurum, and had immediately begun intensive training as a Priestess of Light. Since then, she had participated in some excursions into the southern plains to eliminate small groups of demons which still roamed in search for easy prey. That trip had lasted a few months, and others had continued in their stead even after their departure to the north.

A hand rested on her shoulder. She turned. Walgen smiled to her.

"Good morning, dear Flann," he said, "One last day of travel before reaching Kriesgrab."

"Let's go meet Caron. We have tasks to attend to before leaving."

Flann took the lead and Walgen calmly followed.

Flann stood five and a half feet tall, had brown hair, and a small, round face with a pointed nose and almond-shaped almond-colored eyes under thin brown eyebrows. Her skin was rather pale and her lips not as full as some would prefer. However, her smile was as radiant as could be.

Walgen was a small man, taller than Flann by little, but he was strong of build. His hair was a haystack and he had a sun-worn face; he was only twenty-four, but he looked older. His features were somewhat angular, but not too pronounced. Some would consider him handsome. He was a Vanguard of Light, so he wore the standard-issue mail armour, from shoulder to ankles, and a tabard bearing the legionnaires' emblem. He had a pair of leather boots made by Flann, and wore no helmet or mail coif, unless he was in battle.

They were in the middle of a sea of tents, some large, some small, like Flann's. Together they marched towards another bonfire, where the high priest was waiting. Some were seated around the fire, preparing some rations, and High Priest Caron, Flann's mentor, was giving instructions to Flann's peers. Much had to be done in preparation for an upcoming battle. Once they reached him, Caron turned to face them and smiled.

Caron was a tall man, but he had become a little frail with the years spent in the Realm of Chaos. He wore the same warrobe as Flann, but only out of necessity, as he sometimes had trouble bearing the weight of the quilted cloth riveted with steel plates. His face was wrinkled thoroughly and his hair was white with age. His nose was crooked and he bore a scar over his cheek, a long gash made by the claw of a demon, a Maledicti. Nevertheless, he glowed with a profound compassion for all living beings. He greeted Flann and Walgen with a smile outmatched only by Flann's.