Chapter 8: A Ray of Hope

During the next two weeks, many reinforcements and supply shipments arrived from the south; the southern side of the village had become an ocean of tents. There was not an hour of the day Flann did not see at least forty people, arms occupied with supplies, tools or documents, headed somewhere on an important task. Flann was also busy with her usual task of handling supplies, while Walgen and Ragnhild were distributing weapons. 

A few groups of demons tried to get past the wall, but had failed, as they were now too few in comparison. They were decimated with a few beams of water and a flurry of sword and pole-axe blows.

Days became grim and gray – most suspected rain to come, but it never did. On one of the many dark days, the remainder of the reinforcements had arrived, and the departure for the journey north was nigh. Many gathered with their designated priest or priestess for prayer. Caron stood in Flann's sector of tents, on a tidy pile of crates surrounded by many soldiers, vanguards and lower-ranking priests and priestesses. The Steel Brigade cared little for the Maiden. All knelt before him.

"We know not when our ranks will meet those of the demons, but let us pray as if we face death every moment until we have purged this land of those fiends," intoned Caron. "May the Maiden, ever-watchful, ever-loving, give us strength, energy, and unbreakable will for our final journey and battle. May she shine her light upon our souls, cast the darkness of years of war from our hearts, and fuel our courage when we face our foes."

Caron, eyes illuminated with fervour, looked to the sky and reached up. 

"Our doctrine, our training, and her holy guidance will lead us to victory!" he called to the sky.

The clouds parted above Caron, casting a ray of light upon him and his congregation. He reveled in it, tears running down his rough farmland-like cheeks, eyes glowing with joy at the manifestation of the heavens. Flann, like the rest of the congregation, stared at the sky in awe, mouth hanging wide open and full-moons for eyes. As the ray widened, many other congregations joined Caron's. Many praised the High Priest and the Bleeding Maiden.

"Behold the light! She shines her love upon us! She holds us to her bosom. 'Dear men and women of the Legion and the kingdom, fear not the coming hordes of Chaos, for you bearers of the light will tear apart their ranks and smite their vile forms! Their ash will fly with the wind upon the day of their defeat, and you will march home crushing the dark bones of demons!' she says!" cried Caron to the sky, ecstatic.

Flann could not believe her eyes; it must have been an illusion, she thought; never before had the world ever shown any response to her prayers, nor anyone else's, she thought.

The united congregations cheered to the heavens, an uproar of delight and joy, tidal waves crashing upon the roughest shore, a sound that reached Flann's heart and made it shake and throb with it. Even the mercenaries joined the clamouring crowd.

The light remained, but fervour dissipated. Men and women returned to their duties with renewed energy, energy more abundant and powerful than had ever existed in their lives.

Flann remained to speak to Caron. Once he had given a few short individual prayers to some who had also remained, she approached him.