Chapter 12: Resolution

The Archknight returned with those that had gone with him. They immediately went to the aid of the healers. He spoke to Kemp as he tended to a wounded legionnaire. 

"We've found the root of the evil here: a grand gateway, ten metres wide and half as high. It wasn't held stable by anything on this end, however, so we have no idea how it was still open by the time we reached it. It's almost as if it was held stable exclusively from within," explained the Archknight.

"Does that mean that you closed it?" asked Kemp, anxious.

"We destroyed it. The Outbreak is over Cadleder. No more demons will come from this cavern. We must only make sure that this gateway is never repaired."

Flann and Walgen had overheard the conversation and rejoiced when the Archknight announced that it was over.

"Finally," sighed Flann, "We can go home now."

"Home? Our village was razed and has yet to be rebuilt," said Walgen.

Flann took his hand and looked into his eyes.

"We will rebuild it. I am certain we can find many like us who are seeking a place to settle," she asserted, "We should ask around."

Upon their return to Kriesgrab, the two legionnaires inquired among the members of their war-band and the few surviving mercenaries from the Steel Brigade. They found many who were eager to have a quiet, peaceful life. Kemp gave a few carts to Flann and her followers, along with some supplies. They would have to travel westward, to Prosperia, in order to get supplies. Flann was taking inventory of what little food they had for the trip to the city when Ragnhild approached. Flann turned her.

"Are you sure, Ragnhild, that you would not rather come with us?" asked Flann. "We would love to have you in Mirthenhelm."

"I'm certain, young Flann. My village and family are the reason I became a legionnaire. I must return. Do visit sometime soon," answered the tall warrior.

They hugged each other, gave a final goodbye, and Ragnhild departed east with a handful of legionnaires. 

Flann would not be able to leave yet, as some of those headed south were still unable to travel due to their wounds. Only a week later, thanks to the help of the Archknight's healers, were they able to depart. They arrived at the ruins of Mirthenhelm two weeks later. It had been a long journey, as they had taken their time and traveled through two cities on the western border of the kingdom, Prosperia and the coastal capital city, Lucrativus. 

All wooden buildings lay in piles of blackened shards. The old church stood above the rubble; plants had grow up the majority of the walls, taking advantage of the neglection. Scattered around the entrance were a few fragments of human and demon bones. Flann, Walgen and a few legionnaires entered the church. Within, they found that the pews had been destroyed and dumped into the corners on both sides of the entrance. The center of the room had been cleared out, and a blackened circle was burned into the masonry. Flann approached the mark and placed her hand upon it. She recognized the energies of the Realm of Chaos, still lingering in a place the demons had once occupied.

"There must have been a gateway here, or something," she said to Walgen.

The vanguard approached the statue of the Maiden. The cloak-wearing figure, kneeling and head bowed, had two dried streams of blood running from the eyes, two cut, polished, clear gemstones, down the cheeks and into her hands, cupped on her lap, beneath her head. The hands were full of dried blood, a pale and crusty brown coating.

"It's been defiled," spat Walgen. "They must have used it for some unholy rites."

Flann stood beside him. 

"It looks like we have much to do to restore this place to order," she said. She turned to her followers who stood hesitantly around the entrance. "Well, get to work cleaning this place. We can store our supplies here. Next, we'll clean up the sleeping quarters next door," she stated, pointing at the door in the middle of the wall to her right.

The men and women got to work.

Flann turned to Walgen. She untied a waterskin from her belt and took a swig.

"To a life without a war or Outbreak," she said before handing the waterskin to Walgen, who drank as well.

"They will not relent until we are all dead or cursed," he muttered. "Let us hope that it won't be in our lifetime that the next Outbreak happens."

Flann and Walgen joined the other men and women cleaning the church. Thus began the restoration of Mirthenhelm.

Fin