Chapter 9: The Journey North

Brass rallying-horns boomed all over the camp; it was time to leave Kriesgrab. Flann and Walgen dressed themselves and packed their possessions. The tent was stowed as soon as they emptied it. By the time the sun was well above the horizon, people had eaten, gathered their things and found their respective officers.

There were now more than seven cadleders who had come with the reinforcements. Each sat atop a horse at the head of their war-bands. Cadleder Kemp was at the head of Flann's war-band, seated on a powerful gray steed. He faced his four hundred troops. 

"Hear me! Today, we begin our sweep of the north; all war-bands have a region to clear. Since we are the largest, we are headed straight for the foot of the Hellpit, where we believe the demons have come from. I can guarantee that there will be fighting, so be prepared to act quickly."

He turned away and signaled the group to march. The other Cadleders took their soldiers in different directions, fanning out in between the north and the east. They would be sweeping the highlands between the Red River and the Tearing Beck, to ensure that no demon still roamed by the end of the journey.

The sun had risen not long ago, casting its fiery light on the western side of the mountains to the north, giving a rather imposing look to the Hellpit volcano, which stood higher than any other mountain, as it was at the meeting point of the Ashen Peaks and the Spinas Range. No smoke spewed from its tip, nor had any for several decades. The highlands became flatter as the war-band gathered north. They needed to travel around sixty kilometers to reach the base of the Hellpit. 

Flann and Walgen marched side-by-side. She turned to him.

"I wonder where exactly the demons came from.  They couldn't possibly all climb out of the Hellpit's mouth, could they?" she asked.

"I doubt they could. The Hellpit is rather steep near its tip, not to mention that the pit itself reaches into the bowels of the earth," responded Walgen.

"Do you think that the Realm of Chaos is below the earth? Perhaps they come from a cave at the foot of the Hellpit, one that is yet to be discovered."

Walgen thought a moment. 

"Perhaps they are below the earth, but it is hard to believe that they sit in one massive cavern under all this dirt and stone."

Ragnhild came along. 

"I have a gift for you, Flann," announced Ragnhild, "Bought from a requisition officer with my pay: a good set of mail. It'll protect you more than that flimsy warrobe, and weighs little more."

Flann thanked her.

They walked together, chatting about the happier days in their respective villages, although Ragnhild did speak of the day that her village was attacked by Valand soldiers in 639, during the war. She told the tale of a crazy Luxurite warrior who single-handedly defeated twenty Valandian soldiers along the shore of the river, one who reveled in the slaying of his foes. The Luxurite soldiers had been outnumbered three to one, and they had been only fifty strong.