Chapter 10: The Battle of Hellpit Lair

Kemp took another orb, this one glowing warmly, and shattered it on the floor.

"I want fifty of you guarding the entrance, standard formation," ordered the Cadleder, "If any demons come, funnel them through and fight them in the narrow pass."

He called to an officer and designated him as the leader of those staying behind. Kemp then turned his attention to the darkness ahead. The screams still rang, magnified by the resonance chamber that was the cavern. Daylight reached a few meters in, revealing the acute widening of the cavern. 

"I need light, priests," barked Kemp.

A few priests moved to the front, accompanied by twice as many shield-bearers. The priests each conjured a source of light at the tip of their wands or scepters. They could illuminate a dozen meters ahead, but no more. Kemp gave the order to march.

Flann, Walgen and Ragnhild were ushered to the first row of the formation, being some of those not significantly wounded. Only about half of the war-band was unharmed; they could only hope that the demons were as few as they were. The war-band marched forth. The cavern stopped widening soon enough and was no more than thirty-metres across.

"This cavern is stable, yes?" muttered Walgen to those around him. A few worried glances were exchanged. Flann patted him on the shoulder and he smiled nervously to her.

They had hardly travelled a hundred metres before shouts erupted from the front lines. The light-priests fell behind the standard three rows of soldiers. They lifted their scepters and wands high as to illuminate the battle. The formation spread itself a little more than thirty people wide to cover the full width of the cave. Maledicti emerged from the darkness, some carrying rocks, others jars. There were perhaps forty of them.

"Beware of thrown rocks! Get behind a shield!" commanded Kemp to the back rows.

Flann stood behind Walgen and he behind Ragnhild.

"What I wouldn't give for a proper tall-shield," complained Ragnhild.

She was using another tear-shield, since hers had been damaged during their fight against the rogue Maledicti. 

A rock fell near Flann, who jumped, startled. Walgen dragged her closer to Ragnhild's back.

"What are in those jars?" shouted a soldier in the front.

"I don't wanna know," moaned another, "Just kill them quick."

Kemp knew what they contained, Flann guessed, as he gave an order as soon as the demons came to close.

"Pikemen, move up and keep those jars at bay!" he yelled. His voice echoed, thundering in the cave. "Do not let them throw the oil!"

Pikemen stabbed at the pot-carrying demons, aiming for the arms and head. Some of the Maledicti stepped back, dribbling thin streams of lava, while others pushed forward. More rocks flew towards the war-band. The pot carriers who reached the shield-wall threw the contents of the jar with all their might, splashing the front row with a translucent golden-brown liquid. Those who had successfully soaked their targets spit fire-breath.