1

I watch her walk down the hallway, but not in the perverted way, if you know what I mean. It's picture day at school so Lily dressed up, and she looks more beautiful than ever. She wore a simple white dress and brown leather boots. Her long hair is in curls, cascading down her back and over her shoulders. It's the way she walks, with her head down and her arms folded across her chest, that makes me stop and stare.
Lily was really hurt by this jerk at our school about a month ago. He's the captain of the baseball team and every girl wants to date him. But if they knew the real him, they wouldn't want to-unless they were REALLY shallow. Trust me, I was on the baseball team two years ago, and I know what he's like. He'll do anything for attention and, even though he's a junior in high school, he hasn't learned how to treat girls with respect. I'm disgusted by him, to say the least.
I don't know how it all played out, but what I do know is that ever since April first, Lily hasn't been to a single baseball game. She doesn't gossip with her friends in the hallway when Ben (the jerk I was talking about) walks by. She's different because of him, and I'd like to know why.
Truth is, I've always had a crush on Lily. I liked her positive attitude and her kindness towards everyone. She was the cute kind of awkward and you could find her in the library, reading, during any free periods. But now she's changed. That light that shone in her eyes is gone. It's been weeks since I've seen her smile. Every time I see her, she's got her head down, and a sad expression is forever on her face. I long to know what really happened that day and try to help her in any way I can. But I don't think she's ever really noticed me.
"Christopher Holloway!" the photo-grapher calls out, bringing me back to reality. It's time to get my picture taken.
I sit on the stool and he positions me until I'm "just right." Then he says "smile" and I grin from ear to ear. But inside, I'm thinking about Lily, looking so sad and having to smile for a picture even when her heart is breaking. That's when I realize that my smile is just as fake as hers will be.