13

I'm driving to Lily's house, anticipating the afternoon and wondering how it'll all play out. Will we simply watch the movie, or will we hold hands during it? I'd like to at least do that, but I don't know if she'd be comfortable with it yet. Besides, I want to make a good first impression on her parents. I want them to like me. That's how you get invited back.😉
When I reach her house, it's her mom who greets me at the door. "Hi, you must be Christopher," she says, throwing open the door to let me in. "How are you?"
"I'm great, thank you, Mrs. Parker," I reply.
"Please, call me Lauraine."
"Okay," I agree, and decide I like her. She's not one of those moms who make you feel awkward, and she's not too formal.
"So what do you do for a living, Chris?" she asks me.
"I have a job at Taco Bell, but I only work weekends."
"Not today though?"
"I got someone to cover my shift, so I'm not working til seven."
"Well I'm sure Lily appreciates that. Speaking of, let me get her. Lily!" she calls up the stairs.
Almost immediately, I can hear foot-steps pounding as she runs down the stairs. My palms get sweaty and I have to wipe them on my shorts in an attempt to hide my nervousness.
"Hey Chris," she says cheerfully.
"Hi," I say back.
"The movie's all ready. Wanna get started?"
"Sure."
She leads me to the living room, which is small but cozy, and she tells me to make myself comfortable. So I settle into the leather couch and wait while she goes to the kitchen to get the snacks.
She returns a moment later with two bowls. "I've got Cheeze-it's and Chicken in a Biscuit, and there's pizza in the fridge if you want some."
"This is fine," I say. "Thank you."
"No problem." She sits down next to me, and I notice she keeps as much distance between us as possible. I'm immediately worried that she's disgusted by me, so I stay away from the food and wipe my sweaty palms furiously.
"Is everything okay?" she asks.
"I was gonna ask you the same thing. You're sitting awfully far away."
"Oh. Sorry." She scoots a little closer, within hand-holding distance, I notice.
Then she pressed PLAY on the remote control and the previews start.
"Are you excited?" she squeals, all fangirl-like. Adorable.
"Yeah," I say, and I mean it. I can't wait to see if the movie follows the book! I really hope it does, because the book was amazing.
Finally, it starts, and we watch as Tris Prior comes onto the screen.