10

•Lily•

I need to clean my room. Most teenagers hate to do that, but not me. It was always sort of fun to me, finding old treasures stuffed in corners and underneath the bed.

I get up from my desk chair, where I was sitting to text Christopher a few minutes ago, and start to pick things up. I grab my phone and open Pandora. One of my favorite songs is on, and I immediately start singing along.

"Oh, don't you dare look back. Just keep your eyes on me. I said, 'You're holding back.' She said, 'Shut up and dance with me!' This moment is my destiny. She said-oooooo-shut up and dance with me!"

I'm dancing around my room, singing at the top of my lungs, when I notice a piece of paper poking out from underneath my dresser. I bend to pick it up and examine it. I'm immediately horrified when I notice that it has Ben's name scrawled all over the front.

I've written Ben+Lily and Lily ❤ Ben across the page. Disgusted, I crumple up the paper and toss it in the trash.

An uncomfortable feeling washes over me as I remember the April Fools prank Ben played on me last month.
It was horrible, let me tell you that. I was crushing on him since freshman year and then he said he liked me all of a sudden. We went on a sort of date, and just when he was about to kiss me, he wished me a happy April Fools and walked away. Worst experience of my life.

I feel tears well up in my eyes, and that's when it dawns on me that I can't get too attached to Christopher. If I do, he'll end up hurting me and then what will I do? I don't want to go through this again.

And because of that, I can never trust anyone.