0.002

prologue ;

TO YOU,
EIGHT YEARS AGO

▂▂▂▂▂▂

"Y/N, HURRY UP! YOU'LL seriously miss Prince Zeke's speech if you move like a slug," yelled your friend Sasha from the living room as you were waiting for the popcorn you've put in the microwave in the kitchen. "Did you hear me?"

"Loud and clear," you yelled back at her, drumming your fingers on the countertop as you eyed the microwave's timer, your patience thinning with every second that went by. "Is he on already?"

"Nope! The camera's focused on the King and Queen, but I'm pretty sure he'll be up in a few."

You heaved a relieved sigh as you heard the microwave turn off, indicating that the popcorn was already finished popping. Quickly, you took it out and raced back into the living room, jumping on the couch with such force that Sasha staggered forward face-first onto the floor.

"Oh god, Sasha!" you exclaimed. "I'm so sorry—"

"Look!" Sasha screamed as she pointed at the TV, jumping up with delight. "It's him!"

You snapped your head back to the TV screen, and for sure, the cameras were zoomed on Prince Zeke's handsome face. In reaction to seeing your idol, you joined Sasha in fangirling over the crown prince of Eldia, jumping up and down with her. Both of you were screaming at the top of your lungs that you were certain you'd get a good beating from your parents if they were home. Luckily, they had to a business meeting in the kingdom of Ilsein, so you were certainly spared from receiving a beating.

Only when your throats felt itchy did you and your friend stop screaming, sinking back into the couch, grabbing some water bottles that were on the coffee table. You watched silently as he stepped into the platform, walking to the lectern sitting in the middle accompanied by the cheers of those who were watching on site.

He reached the lectern, resting his hands on top of it, adjusting the stand microphone to have it reach his mouth. "Good morning, citizens of the kingdom of Eldia," he began, a smile on his face as he spoke. "It is an honor to speak in front of my beloved people and address you my role as the crown prince. As I stand before you, I pledge my allegiance as the future king of Eldia and I vow to only serve my people, now and forever."

He went on with his speech, mostly about what he planned for the country of Eldia, although you were too focused on his handsome face that you couldn't process what he was talking about. You snapped out of your lovestruck trance, however, when the camera cut to the four other royal princes and princesses. "What the—?" you stopped that cuss from escaping your mouth. If you remembered correctly, there was just one Zeke, and not four.

Despite the unnecesary camera appearances, you were glad to see the faces of the other royals. From left to right, they were Princess Annie, Prince Armin, Prince Reiner, and Princess Historia Reiss. Prince Reiner looked to be around seven or eight, while Princess Historia was still but a small baby in a gold stroller. Prince Armin was your age, from what you've read in the newspaper, while Princess Annie was seventeen (a year younger than Prince Zeke).

"Princess Annie looks cute," you muttered as your eyes focused on her long blond hair. "She's pretty and I wanna be like her."

"How about Prince Armin?" Sasha whispered into your ear and you were quick to swat her away. Your eyes focused on Prince Armin and his chin-length blond hair. He sure had beautiful sapphire hues too, although you weren't able to study him properly since the camera went back to Prince Zeke.

You clicked your tongue. "Eh, he's looks good, I guess, but we know it's only Prince Zeke in the house!"

Your friend shrugged her shoulders, stuffing more popcorn into her mouth. "You know what's a fun idea? We should go work in the royal palace, Y/N. I'll work as a chef so I can eat the most delicious food in Eldia!"

"As if you're poor enough to not have good food," you scoffed, crossing your leg. "You're from the Braus family, in case you've forgotten."

"Yes, and you're from the L/N family. We're both nobles, yet here we are, eating some cheap microwavable popcorn."

"Let's just... not talk about this. It's sounding like we're a little bit too privileged."

"You started it."

You were about to defend yourself once again, however, you were interrupted by the sound of a loud gunshot echoing from the TV. Both of you turned your focus back on the screen, gaping and eyes widening in horror as you took in the scene in front of you.

Lying on the platform was Prince Zeke, eyes closed and head bleeding. Everyone rushed into the podium, with the other four royal siblings being evacuated from the scene, disappearing out of plain sight. The King and Queen were kneeling bythe fallen prince. The camera zoomed out, revealing the panicking mass of people trying to run out of the place. It was pure chaos, like your brain right now.

"Y/N..." Sasha muttered your name quietly and you turned to her, tears brimming in your eyelids. "...What happened?" But you couldn't reply. Everything just happened very fast. You weren't sure if what you saw were just fictions of your mind.

Sure enough, Prince Zeke had passed away after being shot with a bullet to the head. The tragedy was all over the news for the succeeding days as Eldia mourned over the loss of their beloved prince. You and Sasha were no exception, and the death of your idol had affected you both in a profound level that it affected your mood for the most part.

Shortly after, mass assassinations were prevalent in Eldia. Officials and politicians were murdered here and there. There was a point where even the L/N family was being sent death threats. Eldia became a havoc, and that all started with the assassination of Zeke Reiss.

You had overheard your parents talking about other unheard details about the crown prince's assassination. Apparently, Prince Zeke's bodyguard was helping the mastermind of the assassination all along, providing him with useful intel to push the mission into a success. You were enraged with that, trying to discern what Prince Zeke must've felt if he knew about that. Nobody deserves to be treated like that.

"Mom, Dad," you had interrupted their conversation. Your fists were balled and your eyes were glaring at the dinner table, your body furiously shaking. "I want to be a royal bodyguard."

Looks were exchaged. "What?"