4: flowers

4: flowers

"My favorite flower?"

First year junior high student Hozuki Miyo was stunned when an upperclassman asked this question.

What was his favorite flower?

He hadn't really thought about it.

Miyo's eyes drifted towards Yuuji's direction. With a smile that could light up an entire room, Yuuji was a bright star that everyone wished could have by their side.

The corner of his lips quirked, causing the upperclassman before Miyo to gape at the other's beauty.

"Sunflowers." Miyo answered, his smile becoming even more prominent. "I really love sunflowers."

.

.

Yuuji plopped down his seat before lifting the chair up and turning it around so that he could face Miyo who sat behind him. "What's for lunch?"

"Sauteed vegetables, beef cutlet, tamagoyaki, and some onigiri."

"Thanks for the food!"

The two of them had a deal.

Only one of them would bring lunch which would be shared between them and the other one would make lunch the next day in return.

Today, it was Miyo's turn.

And Yuuji relished in this home-cooked meal with gusto. Miyo's dishes were appetizing that the second he took off the lid of the lunch box, the aroma permeated in the classroom. Everyone in class felt their mouth water, glancing at Yuuji in envy.

After all, only Yuuji had the privilege to eat their school beauty's handmade lunch!

Noticing their glances, Yuuji couldn't help but gloat over his advantage.

Who told them to curry favor from him just so they could have the chance to talk to Miyo?!

.

.

"Hozuki-san, I really like you!" A bouquet of sunflowers were shoved at his direction, blocking off his sight from this admirer of his.

Earlier after class, a classmate called for him and said that someone came to look for him.

Miyo let Yuuji go first to their club as he dealt with this confession.

A tinge of ridicule flickered in Miyo's eyes but it disappeared just as quick as it came. He wore a false smile on his face, before gently pushing the bouquet back to the owner.

"I have to apologize, senpai," he started with a sorry tone. "But I'm not looking for a relationship just yet."

Miyo turned around and left, not caring if he had just rejected someone without a hint of sincerity in his eyes. But no one other than Yuuji could see right through him so he didn't worry whether or not that upperclassman would feel heartbroken.

Perhaps he should have.

If he did, things wouldn't have escalated to such a degree the next day.