5: curse

5: curse

"You can wait for me at the gates, Yuuji."

Club hours had just finished and Yuuji was in the middle of picking up his bags when he heard Miyo talk. He turned around, head tilting to the side. "I can wait for you, Miyo."

"It's alright," said Miyo while tightening his shoelaces. "The head teacher called for me to do a few things. It won't take me long so wait for me at the gates."

Although Yuuji was very reluctant, he couldn't say no when Miyo appeared so adamant.

Once his friend was out of sight, the soft and delicate aura around Miyo disappeared. A murderous intent replaced his harmless aura. If one were to see the current Miyo, they might not recognize him even though it was the same person.

Such a scary look was not something they could imagine Miyo wearing.

Imbecile. He thought while he raised two fingers and placed them on his lips.

"Emerge from the darkness, blacker than darkness. Purify that which is impure."

A barrier spread across the sky, isolating the soccer field and locker rooms from the outside world. Miyo already made sure that there was no one else but him and the cursed spirit present in the area.

Leaving the locker rooms, a grotesque figure greeted Miyo the second he opened the door. It lunged towards him in an instant, its razor sharp tongue flinging out to coil around him.

The corner of his lips curled. "Once upon a time, a second grade curse appeared in a middle school's soccer field. Its aim was none other than Hozuki Miyo who rejected a senior the day before."

He stepped to the side, dodging the curse's attack with ease. "It waited for Miyo to go out of the locker room. It waited for the perfect opportunity to launch its attack. However, it was bound to fail. The first attack missed-" the area around them began to look distorted.

The curse readjusted itself and leaped at Miyo.

"- and when it leaped towards the unarmed youth, the cursed spirit slammed into a wall invisible to the naked eyes."

A loud bang echoed in the field. The cursed spirit, that charged towards Miyo, stopped midair as if it had collided against something. "It grew dizzy, seeing imaginary stars. The curse was confused; what had happened? What did it hit? But amidst its confusion, a warhammer materialized in the air. Due to its ominous presence, the curse tried to escape!"

The curse, noticing the floating hammer in the sky, sensed danger. It tried to flee but the second Miyo uttered the sentences;

"The warhammer followed after the fleeing curse, flying in the sky and never attacking. It seemed to tease the curse, giving it a false sense of victory. Before the cursed spirit reached the curtain, the warhammer swooped down and flattened the curse in one hit!"

The ground shook as the hammer hit its target.

Its limbs flew far away from the body due to the force of impact.

An eyeball rolled near Miyo's feet. He eyed it with distaste before the cursed spirit began to disappear. "The cursed spirit was defeated. As it began to turn back into its original form, time seemed to do the same, fixing the damages caused by the fight."

All traces of a fight disappeared in a blink of an eye.

As the curtain dissipated, Miyo, who caressed his throat, heard Yuuji's voice from afar.

"MIYO!"

A body slammed against him, the scent of soap and shampoo wafted up his nose.

"Are you okay? There was a sudden earthquake just now! You didn't get hurt, did you?!"

Yuuji, who was filled with worry, didn't even notice the fact that Miyo hadn't left the lockers all this time.

"I'm fine," said Miyo as he hugged the other back. "I'm not hurt."