9: disbelief

9: disbelief

Curses after curses after curses.

Yuuji had grown sick with them.

Death after death after death.

He couldn't tolerate it anymore.

"Sukuna," Yuuji called out in the darkness. He didn't know where he was because he lost the last shred of care he had for this world. "You made a deal with Miyo, right? That's why he hasn't woken up until now."

"Che. How do you know he hasn't woken up?"

"I'm not stupid, you know?" The sound of dripping water echoed in this closed area. With each step he took, Yuuji felt like every beat of his heart took tiny pieces of his soul with it. "I can infer that much before you healed me back then. When Gojo-sensei said that Miyo arrived when I died, I knew he must have done something to fall into a coma."

Yuuji halted, bringing silence back into this darkness. A few seconds later, he began walking forward again. "Fushiguro wouldn't have hurt Miyo so it could only be you."

"Kekekeke." Sukuna's laughter echoed inside his head. "Not bad, brat. You've grown quite a bit. You're right, that Izanami kid made a deal with me."

"Iza... nami?"

"Unlike you, your little friend has a proper background. He's a descendant of the Izanami Clan; a clan whose techniques revolved around the word creation. I killed one of his ancestors before. Ripping her heart felt pretty satisfying."

Sukuna wanted to get a reaction of Yuuji but the youth had long lost interest in life. Seeing the other's blank expression, Sukuna couldn't help but roll his eyes.

"I wanted to experience that kind of thrill in a battle again. So I struck a deal with the Izanami brat. When the time comes, he would come find us. The moment you two meet, it will become a battle to the death."

"... a battle to the death with Miyo."

Yuuji's uncaring heart clenched at the thought of fighting against Miyo; a fight where life was at stake. Did he even have the courage to hurt Miyo? He couldn't even bear to see the other suffer from the heat.

Then again...

I think it's better if things happened this way.

The King of Curses could sense Yuuji's thoughts. A wretched look crossed through Sukuna's eyes. Ah, humans, whether they're sorcerers or non-sorcerers, all of them worthless things are repulsive.

.

.

Standing at the top of a tall building at Shibuya was none other than Hozuki Miyo.

He didn't know how long he had slept.

But the world he woke up to had gone through a drastic change.

Miyo's lashes trembled as he sensed a familiar cursed energy heading his way.

Landing at the other side of the building was Itadori Yuuji.

Seeing him in such a wretched state squeezed Miyo's heart. "Yuuji." The youth turned to face his childhood friend while wearing a miserable expression. There were no longer traces of the Yuuji who was full of life. Standing across Miyo was a Yuuji who bathed in darkness and darkness alone.

"Miyo." A smile bloomed on the pinket's face but it didn't feel the same. This Yuuji had been tainted by the filth of the jujutsu world. "It's been a while since I've seen you."

"En." Blue eyes looked down, no longer daring to look straight ahead.

"Has Ryomen Sukuna told you?"

"Yeah," Yuuji scratched the back of his head, wearing a defeated mask. "I've heard everything-."

"Yuuji!" Miyo exclaimed, interrupting the pinket mid sentence. "I... I don't want to fight you."

"... I don't either."

The eyes that Yuuji loved very much became teary, causing him to bit the inside of his cheeks.

In an instant, two violent waves of cursed energy ran rampant in the entirety of the empty Shibuya District. Debris of all sizes flew in the air, smashing into fallen structures. The earth began to shake, large cracks forming on the streets.

Several ruins of building collapsed completely.

In the end, the Shibuya District was levelled.

This pair of tragic childhood friends readied their most powerful techniques. A large mass of dark clouds swirled above them, lightning crackling every so often.

Tears dripped down their chins and as they cried, wielding their weapons and stabbing them through flesh; both Yuuji and Miyo stared at each other in disbelief.

Yuuji stabbed his hand in his chest, crushing his heart in an instant.

Meanwhile, Miyo, who had conjured a cursed tool via Storytelling, pierced his own heart with his blade.

"Miyo, you-" Yuuji coughed up dark red blood. The pinket fell to his knees, disbelief written all over his face. The tears that stopped began falling again and Yuuji soundlessly cried.

Step by step, Miyo used the last of his strength to approach Yuuji. He himself fell to his knees while pulling the pinket in one final embrace.

"I-" Miyo coughed out a handful of blood that splattered on the concrete roof. "- didn't want you... to die..."

"... me... to you either..."

Yuuji cried and Miyo comforted him, even though the both of them were close to death. Due to the differences of a sorcerers' body to a non-sorcerer, the both of them had yet to breathe their last despite the lack of a beating heart.

"Yuuji... do you think... it's possible to be... reincarnated together..."

Uncontrollable sobs escaped the pinket. He wanted to answer but he could no longer utter a single word.

"If I had gone back earlier... if I was... by your side when grandpa... passed away... you wouldn't have had to... enter this cruel world..."

Bit by bit, Miyo's eyes turned dull. They were no longer the sparkling blue that captivated Yuuji at first sight.

"... Yuuji, I still... want to stay with you... for many, many years..." His voice grew weaker and weaker and with the last of his strength, he lifted Yuuji's chin and placed a brief kiss on his lips.

Miyo breathed his last, Yuuji following not a minute later.

.

.

Sukuna had always been disgusted with humans, even when he himself was one.

As he watched this pair of humans live a tragic ending, his only reaction was to scoff.

He owed the woman from the Izanami Clan, and he rightfully paid back his debt.

.

.

"Let's strike a deal." Said Sukuna as he carried the battered up Miyo like a sac of potatoes under his arm.

"I owe your bitch of an ancestor and I don't like the feeling of having a debt; even though more than a thousand years already passed. Tell me; what do you want the most, brat?"

"What..." the dumbfounded Miyo furrowed his forehead before glancing up at Sukuna with disbelief. "... I want the most..." Then Miyo's eyes flickered to Yuuji's unconscious body.

"... is for Yuuji to live like a normal person."

"Deal." Sukuna said in abrupt, stunning Miyo who has yet to process what was happening. "Your body's not a bad vessel either. When the time comes, just kill yourself and I'll do the rest."

A sinister grin suddenly spread across the King of Curses' lips

"Only when I have a place to hop into could your brat live normally, understand?"