77. Downfall Part 1

October 31, 2045 - 6:45 PM

Margo scratched her nails against the wall as she attempted to hoist herself back up. Her ribs and shoulder ached from the impact, and she glanced down at her Blur, frustrated but unsurprised at its defectiveness. A part of her wondered if she'd even deserved to depart the building unscathed that night. Or if she'd even depart the building at all.

She tapped on the Blur with such momentum, she wouldn't have been surprised if it shattered to pieces at any moment. The shield engulfed her for two seconds only to vaporize out of existence once more, and the cycle repeated as she kept her eyes on the Multi Man before her. 

"I know what you're thinking," he told her. "This isn't your bad luck. I made sure to rig them before you and your officers got down here. It's about time this organization is brought down to the level it deserves."

Margo reached for her Fatemaker, but her chest grew heavy the longer she kept her hand on the gun. This is rigged, too, she thought. It won't work.

"Actually," said the Multi Man, "those are the only things I didn't touch. Taking away your protection is one thing. But taking away your only reason for existing? You're not ready for that, Margo. You should hope you'll never be ready for that."

The Fatemaker rested in Margo's hand before she knew it, her finger curled around the trigger.

"Shoot me," said the Man, "and everything else you want to know will go with me."

The gun trembled in Margo's hand. Sweat dampened her forehead and brows. "I've heard enough lies," she whispered. "I don't need to hear anymore."

"You're right. You have." The Multi Man took a step forward. "But that won't be a problem. I'm not a liar."

"Stay back."

"Ever since I put on this mask, I've never had to lie."

"Stay the fuck back."

"Your fellow officer, Brian Royce? He was surprisingly easy to get on my side. Makes sense, though. He had nothing to lose but his life. Well, and one other thing."

"I said get back!"

The young doctor-cop found herself wedged between two walls. One was made of concrete. The other wore a mask and carried a dagger in his right hand. She had a gun to his throat. She could've blown through the wall and walked away, let someone else patch up the hole while she enjoyed the fresh air outside, took in the sun.

But she knew there was no sun or fresh air on the other side. Just dust getting in her eyes and lungs the moment she'd pull the trigger.

"There," said the Multi Man. "You may never get another opportunity like this ever again, Margo."

"You really think I'm gonna pretend like there isn't a catch here?" she said.

"There is never a catch with me. If I wanted to kill you, I would've done it before you'd even stepped foot in Psychwatch. I would've done it before the Scans even knew your name. I've been around for a long time, Margo."

It's not him, she told herself. It's not Dad. He's right. Dad would've killed you.

"Come on. You kill me, you'll be one of the few Psychwatch officers who gave someone what they had coming. In fact, you already are. You're not a killer, Margo. You might just be the only doctor-cop who's doing their job right. Why do you think Mason wanted you in the psych ward?"

Stun him. Rip the truth right out of him once you've knocked him unconscious. Use the PACER or a Psych Expressor, anything!

"Last chance, Margo. Go ahead and send the Devil back to Hell."