3. Atmos Terrace

March 23, 2045 - 7: 55 PM

Atmos Terrace: great food, slick neo-futurist design, and a rooftop patio with one of the best views of the city. Margo couldn't have chosen a better place to celebrate. At least in her opinion. It had only been one of her all-time favorite restaurants since Carl took her and her high school friends there for her seventeenth birthday.

Hundreds of feet above the rest of the neon and holograms glowing throughout the rest of Downtown Philadelphia, Margo and her mother awaited their meals at their table, occupying their time by playing a game of holo-chess. Taking another drink of her glass of water, she made her final move, trapping her mom's king between her rook and her queen.

"I'd call that a good game," Margo declared.

"That's usually what the winners tend to say," Karen groaned.

"No hard feelings, Mom?"

"Of course not. Chess was never really my thing. I just wish Carl was here to avenge me."

Margo laughed. The waiter arrived at the table with their orders. The holographic chess pieces vanished back into the glass as Margo was greeted by a plate of steak and fries and a glass of wine. Once the waiter offered Karen her food, he flashed a quick grimace toward Margo before making his way back toward the kitchen.

Margo realized she was still wearing her ThoughtControl piece.

It wasn't even the fact it was a ThoughtControl piece; in fact, anybody could buy one. Who wouldn't want to be able to unlock doors, activate lights, and send messages to friends with just a single thought? That look of disdain was simply because he could tell it was from Psychwatch thanks to the blue Greek letter psi emblazoned on the little plastic device.

"What was that all about?" Karen asked, aware of the waiter's distasteful look.

"Guess he isn't too fond of doctor-cops," Margo replied. "Doesn't matter. Let's eat."

While her daughter was busy taking bits and pieces off her plate, Karen didn't seem too hungry. Every thirty seconds or so she'd grab another scoop of pasta and maybe another sip of wine, but it was clear something was bugging her. She took her phone out to check if Carl was still planning on joining them but quickly stuffed it back into her pocket once she noticed Margo staring at her.

"Something wrong?" Margo asked.

"Nothing," Karen replied. "The linguini isn't as good as it usually is, that's all."

That's when Margo realized it was the perfect time to take advantage of her ThoughtControl. With just a single thought, she activated her piece and connected to the nearest SanityScan, which hung from the corner of the restaurant's exterior just above the entrance back into the building. A few seconds later, a small part of her mother's mind flashed across the holographic lens hovering in front of her eye like an article in a newspaper.

Psychwatch Societal Stability System (P3S) Data Results:

Name: Karen Mavis Sandoval

Age: 51

Sex: Female

Status: Undiagnosed

Threat Level 0 (No signs of aggression or hostility. Currently undergoing feelings of mild distress. Can be restored through social engagement with friends and loved ones)

Karen chuckled halfheartedly. "That's what I get for having a daughter that works with Psychwatch. Now you're really gonna keep an eye on me."

"Is there something you wanna talk about, Mom?" Margo asked with a half-smile. "The Scan says a little talking could go a long way."

Karen took another bite before wiping her mouth with her napkin and clearing her throat. "Even after all these years, I still can't help but worry a little. I mean, your job requires predicting the unpredictable. You'll be surrounded by people who could snap at any moment."