Epilogue

January 7, 2046 - 11:30 AM

Margo's twenty-fourth birthday, though it felt like any other day. Because like any other day, her and her mother still felt that distance between them that they worked to trim down inch by inch.  Walls were hard to take down one brick at a time, but they knew such a careful process was the best way to keep everything from crashing down.

The car drove itself to the cemetery, neither Margo nor Karen resting a hand on the steering wheel at any point. The two of them carried small bouquets of spark roses, a move both of them hesitated to make with the new reputation garnered by such beautiful creations. But Margo knew, and Psychwatch knew, that the sympathy they invoked could be won back.

The flowers were the stars, Margo thought. Tranquil. Harmless. Watchful of the ones that struggled. She would patiently await the day they would comfort people in death rather than alert them to its arrival.

The memorial built for the people slain by the Multi Man, for the officers who died by his hands or those of his admirers, would eventually receive so many spark roses, its radiance at night rivaled moonlight. And Margo knew Carl went there every day to Holden's grave, to try and convince himself that he'd forgiven himself. That something has forgiven him.

The cemetery gates came into view, and the car's pacing slowed to a careful pace. Margo and Karen smiled at each other for only a moment as the vehicle searched around for a vacant parking spot, eventually resting beneath a tree.

The two women remained motionless in the car, each wanting to speak but hoping not to speak over the other. Karen let her daughter have the first word.

"Mom," said Margo. "I'm sorry. For everything."

Karen glanced over at her. "None of this is your fault, Margo. Absolutely none of it."

"I shouldn't have gone back to Psychwatch."

"But you're not there anymore. Right?"

Margo nodded. "Someone else I know left, too. Nikki Atkinson. You met her at Skinner High, remember?"

Karen nodded. "Yeah, I remember her. She was friends with Holden, right?"

Margo closed her eyes. "Yeah. She was."

Silence fell between them again. Karen took her daughter's hand. "Are you sure you'll be alright seeing him here? We don't need to stay long."

"I'll be fine," Margo said. "The longer we avoid it, the more it'll hurt anyway. We had to come here at some point."

Margo stepped out of the vehicle. Karen followed suit and closed the door behind her. When the car locked, she called for her daughter again.

"Yeah, Mom?" said Margo, and Karen traveled around the car to meet her face to face.

Karen rested her flowers on the roof of the car and lay each hand on Margo's shoulders, pulling her in for a hug. "I'm just glad," she whispered, "that I won't be seeing your name written down here. I'd come every single day to see you, and I'd never forgive myself."

"Mom," said Margo, and she hugged her back.

"Please stay safe, Margo. I don't know what I'd do if I lost you. I haven't known what to do in such a long time because all I thought about was...was..."

"You'd never lose me," Margo said. "I'm not going back to Psychwatch. And even if I did, you'd still never lose me. I love you, Mom."

Karen was sniffling, and Margo felt her teardrops pat her shoulders. But they both knew they needed this to happen. Karen whispered, "I love you, too," and held her daughter just a little longer.