44. Bitter Return

June 3, 2045 - 7:30 AM

"Welcome back, Officer Margo Sandoval," greeted the serene but monotonous voice of an AI as Margo took a seat. "I'm your personal automated psychiatrist assigned to you by Commissioner Mason for a fast and efficient psychological evaluation."

"Why couldn't she talk to me herself?" Margo snapped, not recognizing the hostility in her voice.

"Due to the recent tragedy that struck at the Philadelphia Mental Health Rally last week, our organization is short-staffed at the moment, as many of our employees are or will be undergoing psychological therapy such as this. However, since the general population disapproves of AI-conducted therapy despite its speed and efficiency, all Psychwatch personnel will be required to partake in these sessions to ensure a faster recovery before returning to work, where they will instead lead others to recovery as Psychwatch intended."

"So we have to take the least popular, least effective service?"

"According to Psychwatch statistics, AI-conducted therapy is just as effective as one-on-one therapy between two persons. The primary cause behind client dissatisfaction regarding AI-conducted therapy is, much like any other form of psychotherapy, hesitation to open up and fully discuss their concerns, specifically with an automated response program rather than a flesh-and-blood, licensed professional. Once one learns to overcome the AI's perceived lack of empathy and understands it to be nothing more than a false impression, the therapy will prove to have just as much positive influence as one would expect from any other. Do you understand, Officer Sandoval?"

Margo suddenly felt even more self-aware. Being reminded not to think of this AI as a robotic shrink only cemented her belief that this was nothing more than a robotic shrink. But it was her only way back into the building after all. "Yes, ma'am," she responded.

"Wonderful," the AI replied. "Let's get started. Allow me to adjust the lights and colors in the room."

The room around Margo dulled from plain white to a light blue haze. No windows in sight. A small chamber known as a SafeSpace that could augment one's vision of reality to something far more comforting. She couldn't look away from the SanityScan protruding out of the corner of the wall, staring into her mind and soul.

"Before we begin," the AI said, "it is required that I let you know that this SanityScan has access to every one of your thoughts. Any memory you recall during this discussion will be accessed and reviewed by the Psychwatch Societal Stability System in order to run a complete and accurate psychological evaluation. However, once the session is over, it is entirely optional for you to hear a full summary of the evaluation or simply your Threat Level and a few recommendations to improve your mental health. Any questions?"

"Is this like other sessions," Margo proceeded in a tired tone of voice, "where my memories will only be accessible once I've brought them up in conversation? Or will the Scan just dive into my brain and open up whatever door it wants?"

The room went silent for a moment. But following a beep, the AI continued. "You sound just like Officer Holloway during his previous sessions," it said. "And we will only access your full memories once key details referring to said memories have been described to me. Any additional questions?"

"Nope."

"Then let's begin."

Another series of electronic sounds emanated throughout the room. Margo expected the panels in the walls to shift and flip around like a magician's cards. But instead, the blue lights around the room blinked twice and the SanityScan clicked in place, its lens zooming in closer on her. She no longer felt like a patient. More like something lower.