Chapter One Part Three

One

ARRIVAL

Mattel H.

The player thought that he would score a goal.

He thought that he and his team would have a chance to win. Unfortunately, he was wrong. The goalkeeper Mattel S. Hernandez had caught the ball even if he was not facing where it had come from. The opposing player didn’t have a chance to surpass Mattel’s acute senses.

Mattel returned his attention to the game. He was determined to finish and win the game, so he kicked the ball towards his teammate. His teammate ran towards the other goal, kicking the ball as steadily as he can. He passed it to his other teammate near the goal. This other teammate kicked the ball at a certain angle and… score! His kick had been decisive, and it ensured their team’s victory. The team rejoiced having to win the first soccer game of the school year. They shook the hands of the other team as a sign of sportsmanship, and then headed to the shower rooms with their trophy from the welcoming game in hand.

Mattel was left behind. He headed towards Will instead.

“That was awesome! Congratulations for the early stardom,” Will said as he shook Mattel’s hand.

“Thank you. I’m just happy that I could make my new team proud,” Mattel replied looking back at the soccer field.

“Cool! You got in the varsity team already just like me!” said Syle.

“You’re into football too?”

“No, swimming. I’m in the swimming varsity.”

While the boys were talking, Zauri searched into her bag and took out a clean face towel and gave it to Mattel. “You’re all sweaty. Good thing I always keep this towel in my bag,”

Mattel took the towel and patted from his face down to his neck. Sweat was dripping down his head, and it soaked the collar line of his black and green shirt. His blue soccer shorts were messed up too for being covered with dust.

As he was all dried up, he moved on to fixing his slightly spiky black hair. He flicked his hair so that his bangs wouldn’t get in the way of his eyes. The iris of his eyes was as black and sparkly as the night sky, and it perfectly matched his hair.

Mattel tried to return the face towel to Zauri, but she insisted that he should keep it. “Keep it. It’s drenched in sweat anyways.”

The spirit of the soccer game was still lingering on Mattel that he barely noticed that Will was more silent than usual.

“He’s dazed again,” Zauri teased. “Why can’t you just do something better like help me in my algebra assignment. It’s freakish! It’s the first day of the semester, but they already gave us assignments.”

“I could help you with that,” suggested Syle.

“You would?”

“Yeah, algebra’s cake and physics is candy. Both are my thing, so it’ll be a pleasure to help you.”

“Alright then, let’s get on with it,” Zauri took Syle’s hand. “Mattel, wake Will for me. Syle and I will be nearby doing my assignment.” Zauri handed Mattel his invitation then disappeared with Syle.

When Mattel turned to Will, he noticed why he was dazed. Will was staring at the sun. “What’s wrong with the sun? Is something bothering you Will?”

“It’s nothing. I just remembered a dream.”

“Ok… So what were we going to talk about?”