Chapter Nine - Third Moon

Nine

THIRD MOON

Crystal doors reconnected to their jambs, creating a resonant echo when they closed.

The marble ceiling flooded light all throughout the noiseless stronghold room. As Will’s eyes adjusted, they captured the pure white elegance that dominated the venue which pronounced peace and responsibility from the bone-white marble above, down to the reflective crystal beneath his feet, and from the snow-colored walls that surrounded him. The only furniture was a large crystal table with a single, central foot; however, it was built into the floor, so it was technically a part of the room.

Doctor Vayda was also in theme; her white lab coat blended with the walls, making her look like severed human body parts floating in midair.

Will studied his companions. They, including him, disrupted the harmony, and their dark traveling clothes were to blame. Will felt like he was trespassing into a sacred place, but he assumed that he had the prestige to be there.

“Wow, it’s cold in here!” exclaimed Syle as he rubbed his hands vigorously.

Will realized that he was also feeling cold because his bare hands were starting to go numb.

“I’ll handle this,” said Fal.

She opened her right hand, intending to ignite a small flame. For a few seconds, she concentrated. There were faint red sparks, but there was no warm flame. Fal looked confused and flushed in embarrassment.

“You won’t be able to summon your Zodiacs here,” said Doctor Vayda. “None of us could.”

“Why not?” asked Will. He was feeling so cold that he was ultimately disappointed when Fal failed to produce a flame.

“Close your eyes and listen attentively,” said Vayda.

He closed his eyes, and so did the others. He listened and heard silence, but that’s what he initially thought. As he listened harder, he realized that the room wasn’t quite as silent. There was a sustained tone that he could barely hear, and it was like the remnants of the ring of bells – or the ring of closing crystal doors.

Will tried to concentrate on the sound, and he got a slight headache as punishment.

“You may not hear it clearly, but there’s a high-pitched sound reverberating through the crystal surfaces in this room,” explained Vayda. “That is a special noise that nullifies all Zodiacs.”

“So you mean to say, this is a nullifying room?” asked Syle.

“Yes, this room is designed to promote equality among its visitors,” replied Vayda. “That would ensure that no fighting would occur because this is the Stronghold of Peace.

That is also the reason why it is cold; extreme temperature is another weakness of a Vaniad.”

“Wait, if we’re powerless in this place, what would happen if Crittes attack?” asked Fal, who seem to be the most tolerant of the cold among them.

“This is the Stronghold of Peace, and all impending violence will be abolished,” said Vayda. “Besides, Crittes will never be able to enter this sacred ground. Only Excelsius magni are permitted to by the stronghold to enter.”

“Who’s he?” Will asked.

“It is not one person,” replied Vayda. “Excelsius magni are all Vaniads of the royal families.”

“Hang on!” Fal exclaimed. “Venson is here. Care to explain?”

“Guys, guess what,” said Venson. “I’m a magnus, just like you.”