Chapter Eight - Vine Stallion (Part One)

Eight

VINE STALLION

Trees aren’t oddly colored, and the air isn’t deprived of oxygen.

Vanjeide was not as alien as what Zauri had initially imagined. She was staring at the water that delicately parted into waves as their liner sliced for its path. The sea was made of no other material but water, which is as fluid and cold as the seas on Earth, and it allowed the vessel to sail flawlessly.

Withdrawing her eyes from looking at the lapping waves, she formed her lips into a crude smile. She realized how silly she was, thinking that Vanjeide would be a world of cascading abnormalities and peculiarities. She was wrong, for Vanjeide seemed – normal. Well, three moons in one sky would still be something that’s weird. However, only one of them is currently visible because the two others had disappeared into the west. At that moment, the sky was dominated by only one orb.

Soon, she thought. Soon, as days pass, that would be included in her list of things that she consider “normal”. Also, she would have to consider the truth that she’s an alien, and that her life had been a lie concealed by the love of her family. She continued to tell herself this, assuring herself that she wouldn’t be dealing with forces that are too unimaginable.

Ever since their arrival, she’s been unconsciously fantasizing about normalcy. At every free minute that she had since they left hangar fifty-four a few hours ago until now that they had boarded a ship, she would observe her surroundings. She would attempt to imagine that she was still on Earth, yet she would always be appalled by a persistent realization. How could she hope for things to return to what they had been?

No matter how normal it may seem, Vanjeide is still a different and unfamiliar place. She only had a bare idea of Vanjeide culture, so it wouldn’t be easy to adjust to the norms. And the people, they’re nothing but strangers. On the liner that she was boarded on, she only knew six other people, and the rest were hooded mysteries.

She shuddered. Total anonymity felt cold. As she embraced herself for warmth, her hand touched a familiar metallic object. Realizing what it was, she held it and grasped it tighter. It was her mom’s locket, and it alluded metaphoric warmth fueled by poignantly sweet memories. She sighed and shut her eyes.

“Finished with your contemplation?” interrupted Fal.

Zauri laughed softly. Total anonymity was averted by a friend’s futile and embarrassing attempt to sound intelligent. She turned to face Fal then leaned back unto the ship railings.

Fallanine, wearing a black polo neck that was tucked into her black slacks, had her reddish-brown hair flowing freely on her shoulders. A sling bag dangled by her side. Zauri supposed that what Fal was wearing would suit her indeed even if Fal had just randomly picked up a match from Ace’s colossal wardrobe. She couldn’t blame her for not being decisive when she had selected clothes to wear.

Although Ace had introduced them to a great deal of varied clothing in an array of colors and styles, Ace had only allowed them to pick the dull and simple ones. Currently, Zauri was dressed in a pale blouse and dark jeans. A black hooded jacket was also a part of her outfit. She figured that if it were to be cold, she’ll be prepared, and she was absolutely unmistaken.

Ace had insisted that they’d have to wear less conspicuous clothes whenever they traveled. It was his number one rule; blend in. They were supposed to blend in to the crowd, blend in to the environment, and blend in to the trends. Zauri observed the other passengers onboard, and the same rule applied to them. They were all in dark and dull clothing, which Zauri had considered boring the first time she saw them. It was as if they were in a fashion stalemate, yet as she observed more keenly, she was astounded. Their clothes were actually a stunning blend of modern style and mild Victorian, a style which Vaniads seem to carry quite well.