Chapter Six - Bridge

Six

Bridge

“Listen to your heartbeat. Try to manage your blood flow,” Knathaniel said in a relaxing tone.

In the forest that surrounded the silver temple, Knate was sitting on the ground with his legs crossed and a candlestick in his right hand. In front of him, Fallanine was seated the same way. She had her eyes closed to concentrate on what she was about to attempt.

“Feel the warmth of your body,” Knate continued. “Concentrate on the heat.”

Fal exhaled slowly as she tried to follow Knate’s commands.

Knate clenched tighter on the candlestick. “Now open your eyes and focus on the wick. Remember, a Vaniad’s eyes are her main outlets. See the molecules of the candle, and make them vibrate.”

Gradually, Fal’s eyes turned red as she opened them. She exhaled one more time, and a small flame ignited on top of the candle.

“I did it!” Fal rejoiced.

“Very good, you’re learning how to gain more control over fire.” Knate commented.

Fallanine rose up and started walking towards the temple. “I’m gonna show Syle what I can do,” she said.

She came across Laira, who was going the opposite direction. “Is Knate there?” Laira asked in her usual shy mood.

“Yup, just go straight ahead and you’ll find him,” Fal replied.

Laira thanked Fal, and they both continued on their way. As Laira kept forward, she found Knate leaning on a tree and staring warily at the afternoon sky.

“So what are you going to do?” Laira asked, interrupting Knate’s moment.

Hearing Laira, Knate glanced at her, and then back at the sky. “I really don’t know,” he replied. His eyes angled downwards, showing despair.

Laira walked closer to him. “You should tell the truth soon,” she suggested.

Knate shoved his hands in his pockets and finally faced Laira. “They won’t believe me.”

“I believe you,” Laira promised. “And I’m sure they will believe me.”

For a while, Knate pondered on what he was supposed to say. When he made up his mind, he withdrew his right hand and took Laira’s. “Alright, let’s go.”

Laira smiled. Together, they made their way to the temple.

When they reached the open field that led to the entrance of the temple, they found Fallanine teasing Syle, and Mattel resting at the temple’s porch.

Fal snickered, “You don’t even have control on your powers yet!”

“I sure have! Watch me,” Syle protested.

All over the field, there were several puddles of water that resulted from frequent raining. Syle approached one of the puddles, and he concentrated. He created a ball of water which he immediately threw at Fal’s face.

“Argh! You stupid jerk!” she roared. Her face was all wet and her hair was soaked. Syle couldn’t stop laughing.

Fallanine wiped her face. “I’ll get you for this!” she exclaimed. She created a fireball and threw it at Syle.

Syle dodged the attack, and then he made another water ball and threw it at Fal. He succeeded again, making Fal more outrageous. She focused on Syle’s shoe and made it ignite. Fallanine grinned devilishly as Syle soaked his foot in the puddle to douse the fire.