Chapter Nine: Sudden and with No Pain

It was strange how quickly and calmly they became a family.

Months passed. Louis saw Harry a few times, neither of them mentioning the illicit note. Louis wondered if he had even found it yet. There was always the chance Harry had lost the book or merely never picked it up again. Maybe that was for the best.

Christmas came, Harry finding out that Louis' birthday had been the day before. He felt guilty for only giving him a single present, but Louis repeatedly told him it wasn't important. People often forgot - and it's not like they had each other's numbers or followed each other on social media. There hadn't been any way for him to know.

Louis was grateful for how Anne had embraced his sisters, aware they still needed a mother figure, never hesitating to drive across town and do their hair for formal events. Gemma and Anne were happy to help them pick out outfits and go get manicures and Lottie was more than willing to babysit Lily, Edward's new granddaughter.

While he didn't need to work, Louis was happy to return to Little Wonders, coaching the children in football. He was grateful to now be able to solely volunteer, a well kept trophy husband who could throw himself into charities and galas.

He missed Harry, especially late at night after Edward would fall asleep and he would watch footie alone, texting his old friends or playing FIFA. Having an older husband had its drawbacks and he often wished for someone his own age to spend time with.

But the bank account calmed him. Watching Lottie's face when she was surprised with her Mercedes was more than worth it. Every time he began to question his sacrifice, Edward was never hesitant to remind him what kept him here. It didn't matter if it was with sweet affection or presents or trips or mind-bending sex, Louis never wanted for anything.

The two celebrated their first anniversary with a weekend in Paris, Edward pulling out all the stops. Five star hotels, private tours including the Louvre. It was like a dream and for a moment. Louis was completely, unapologetically happy; his mind never wandering to what could have been. How could that remotely compare to what his life actually was? A magical experience every day, each so hauntingly beautiful Louis was convinced it couldn't last forever.

 How could that remotely compare to what his life actually was? A magical experience every day, each so hauntingly beautiful Louis was convinced it couldn't last forever

Edward had woken up strangely early that day late in the summer, making quick, quiet love to Louis before hopping in the shower. His young husband rolled over as he listened to him in the restroom, whining as he saw the clock.

"Edward, it's not even six."

"I know, babe. Go back to bed. You have the day off from everything."

"The girls-"

"It's summer. No school and you know they're all going to sleep until noon."

"Why are you up so early?"

"Big day. I've got like, seven properties to tour and a conference call at noon then I have to provide my final assessments to the investment group- AH SHIT!" Edward suddenly shouted.