The Carnival

I absolutely hated half of this chapter and decided to rewrite it soooo yeah, not much change to the main story tho.

I look up at my clock: 4:30, thirty minutes left. My study book sits next to me on my bed, discarded. I glance over at it. I really should finish studying, but I'm too anxious to focus right now.

Me and Matt are planning on going to go to the carnival. Yeah it is the same one that Tibbles shrank Willow, Luz, and me at... but that's in the past, hopefully.

He insisted in coming to pick me up. Something about not trusting his older brother to not embarrass him. So here I am, waiting for Matt to arrive, my Jerk with sucky insults.

Time creeps past and eventually I wait by the door in anticipation.
After studying me for a second my Dad says "Gus, are you okay? You are fidgeting a lot."

"What? Oh, yeah I'm fine" I reply

"Excited for your date!" He teases

"What! no it's not like that!" I say hurriedly, trying to hide a blush that's rising in my cheeks and failing desperately.
Dad's eyes lit up "It is like that!"

Before I could protest there's a knock on the door.

I spring up and rush over to the door.
It's Matt. (Of course it is I mean who else could it be?)

"Hey Jerk" I say.

"Sup Squirt" he replies with a cocky grin.

"Hello you must be Matholomule!" Dad says enthusiastically, as he gently shoves me out the door. Matt freezes, even though we've hung out lots he's never met my family and I've never met his. I think he likes it better this way.

"Hi" Matt says somewhat strained

"Are you excited for your date!" My dad exclaimed

Me and Matt reply almost simultaneously
(Matt) "What?"
(Gus) "AAH! Dad it's not a date!"

A faint blush rises in Matt's ears, he tries to hide it but fails. Luckily Dad doesn't say anything.

"Okay," I finally pipe up "we need to go if we want to make good time." Desperately trying to get out of the awkward situation.

"Okay!" Dad says shooing us off "Stay safe! Have Fun!"

"Bye Dad!" I wave

"Sorry about him." I say once we're out of earshot "Dad means well but he can be a bit much sometimes."

"Yeah" he says in a chuckle "Us on a date"

"Yeah, Unimaginable" I say.

Matt looks the other way and mumbles something I cant hear.

neither of us say anything for a moment, trying to find a different subject to break this uncomfortable air I finally think of something to say.

"You know the last time this carnival was in town me and willow were shrank into a speck of dust and had to ride a fly to get help."

"Really?" Matt says almost unbelieving "How did that happen?"

"It was crazy. Tibbles was getting revenge on us for destroying his night market stall with a walking house. He tried to feed us to his flea circus. We almost died." I explain

"Yeah that sounds like something he would do" Matt said

"Wait you know Tibbles?" I ask surprised

"Yeah, I work some scams for him here and there."

"WHAT! YOU-" that's all I can say before he cuts me off

"Gus I make sure to stay out of any that might involve someone getting injured. I backed out of one just yesterday, he wanted to shrink the coven guards into oblivion." He says, walking towards me he grabs my hand, trying to reassure me. "I only help with material scams. Editing book images and things like that."

"Oh" I say looking down at my hand wrapped in his, I feel my face turn red.

He realizes why I'm blushing and looks away, but he doesn't drop my hand.

"Come on," He says, I cant see his face but his ears are bright red "lets go"

----Time Skip (they already arrived at the Carnival and start doing carnival stuff)---

Me and Matt went on one ride before he got sick and threw up in our nightmare puffs (basically caramel corn) after that we just played carnival games. Matt was able to navigate us past the scams and was bribed 10 snails to not expose the tricks to getting around them.

Suddenly feeling hungry I say "Hey do you want to go get some real food?"

"Yeah sure that sounds good, I know a good place close bye that we can go" He says.

(I am being lazy and don't want to write a meal scene so just picture a cute coffee date but it's "not a date" because they're "just friends")

--Time Skip (they got back home and went to sleep)--

I ended up staying at Gus's house because it was almost three in the morning and Gus didn't want me to walk home alone, so I stayed at his place.

Gus didn't want me to sleep on the floor, something about a long day and needing proper rest.
Using the same logic I wouldn't let him sleep on the floor either and here we are now.

Gus rolls over and wraps his arms around me, making me feel safe, loved, and super awkward at the same time.

In turn I wrap my arms around him also. we fall asleep holding each-other.

What Matt muttered after the encounter with Gus's dad was "that's not what I meant"

TSYM for reading, sorry for being gone for so long I am starting a Gus x Matt one-shots and hopefully I will be able to keep motivation and ideas for it.