Sob

Sob
September 18th, 2021
I had this dream last night.

We were chasing after a woman my age. She had taken something from me, I think. Two other people were helping me chase after her. One boy, one girl. Both of them were around my age. To be honest, I'm not entirely sure why we were chasing her, but I knew there was a good reason. Something about her was just... off. I couldn't tell who she was or what she wanted, but it certainly wasn't good.

All three of us were chasing her through town. As I became more aware of my surroundings, I realized it was a party. Catching a glimpse of her from behind, I saw her walk calmly with a strong stride as she wove through the crowd. When she glanced back, everything seemed to slow down as we locked eyes. My breath hitched and I grew uneasy as I saw a grin spread across her face. Then she turned her head forward and continued to walk.

I quickly snapped out of it, running forward and lunging at her. I wrapped my arms around her from behind, wrapping my hands in front and stalling until the other two, who were running towards us, could lock her in place.

"Please," I said, locking eyes with her once again. "Don't."

Don't what you might ask? I don't know, I don't remember... but it couldn't have been good.

The woman looked into my eyes and grinned widely at seeing my distress. It was evident she was enjoying this. To see me in such a state only seemed to please her further, which in turn, only brought a sense of horrible anticipation over me. Just as my partners got there, she broke free with such force and speed, that none of us had time to react.

I'm not quite sure how this next part happened... But we found ourselves in a policeman's car, sitting in the back. The policeman was sitting in the driver's seat but turned around to face us. I found myself nervously explaining what had happened and why we had been chasing that woman. The fact that my partners were handcuffed did not help me. And while I, myself, was not cuffed, it certainly felt like it. He seemed like a kind man. Or, at least, a policeman simply trying to do his job. So I did my best to explain everything.

"Please, let my friends go! I'm the one that's really at fault here." I said after finishing.

At this, the man smiled. My heart beat wildly in my chest, even at his warm expression. Then, he took out a gun, and I realized that his smile was cynical. I could feel my heart beating in my chest, and my throat burned. He was on the woman's side. Always had been, always would be. That realization struck me like a bat to the head. We had been tricked. The sensation of betrayal was so overwhelming that I started sobbing. Although, no... When exactly had I started sobbing?

...Then he pulled the trigger, and everything went dark.

*   *   *

When I opened my eyes, I was back at that same party, searching for the same woman, right before I woke up. As I woke up, I still had that knot in my throat, from the dread I had felt, and from when I had been sobbing.