Cracked Unbroken Will

March 14th, 2022
I had this dream last night.

    There were some very dangerous people holding me prisoner. I don't think they were even people... Their presence was so dark and menacing, it was hard for me to breathe because of the fear and adrenaline pumping through my blood. I remember sitting in the corner of a cage, breathing deeply, attempting to calm myself down. Whoever was holding me prisoner was not human. The horrifying thing is that there was more than one.

I sat in the corner of my cage, shivering. I wasn't the only one being held prisoner, but I was the only one in a cage. Everyone else had either given up all hope or had gone insane. I was the last one still in my right mind, the only one left who still had free will... and that made me dangerous to them.

My breath hitched as I felt the presence of one of my captors steadily heading in my direction. I closed my eyes and breathed deeply, my hands shaking as I held them close to my body. In the blink of an eye, there was a dark presence outside my cage. A wave of fear hit me as I realized that I was no longer alone. I felt a choked sob escape my throat. I detested the idea of so easily letting my captor see how much their presence terrified me, but I couldn't help it.

I yelped a split second later as I suddenly became aware that they were inside my cage, right in my face. How had they moved so fast? I couldn't see them clearly, as all I could make out was a blurry outline. Their face looked shady, everything was dark except for their mouth. I shivered as a wide grin spread over their face as they leaned in. I backed into a corner until my back was hard-pressed against the bars. Dread spread throughout my entire body like a wildfire.

"Your fear, it's adorable."

I swallowed.

"What do you want?"

"A snack, for now." They responded, licking their lips.

"Th-Then take it, and get it over with," I said, my voice shaking.

"Giving up like everyone else? How boring. I thought you'd be a little more fun." They taunted. "Then again, you could just be putting up a brave front. How cute."

"Please," I begged. "Just do it."

Their eyes sparkled at that, and they seemed to shiver from excitement for a moment.

"Aaahhh, I love it when they beg," they licked their lips, and leaned in towards me, sniffing my neck.

I shut my eyes as their tongue grazed my skin, giving me goosebumps, and waited. Nothing happened. I opened my eyes to realize that they were standing outside of the cage, with the cage door open. I knew it was probably a trap, but I seized the opportunity anyway. I dashed out the cage door and flew into the sky as fast as I could to get away from them.

I could feel their presence as they chased after me close behind. I flew as fast as I could, my adrenaline pushing me past my limits, and as if the fate of the world depended on it- until I spotted a house surrounded by trees in a little green clearing.

The next moment the dream's reality shifted, and I found myself inside that very house, sitting on a bed. I quickly realized it was my friend Shirley's house. Jumping up off the bed, I dashed to all the windows, quickly shutting and locking them, and pulling the curtains over them tightly. Hopefully this would prevent the demons from spotting us, and delay them a bit.

I then explained everything to my friend. About how the creatures want to take over the world. I never got to finish though, as just then, I woke up.