chapter one

the rest of the period passed rather uneventfully after that, and i was glad to be out of the room, sarah's suggestive smiles and nudges taking up more of my mind than the material that was being taught.

i made it to my next class and settled into my chair, grateful to see that the students filing in after me were people who i had known my whole life. some threw me waves or tired grins, which i returned in kind. a sense of calm and relief warmed me as i took my pencils out.

"hey, it's my favorite target!" a cheerful voice chirped. i turned to see one of the new boys, nick, making his way toward me with a wide smile on his face. i hummed in a disinterested tone, silently willing him to not sit next to me, though the chair was painfully empty. of course, he didn't listen as he sat down with a huff, running his fingers through his hair.

"didn't realize you were in the habit of making other people your bullseyes," i said, cringing internally. the interaction this morning had thrown me off balance more than i cared to admit. i made it a habit to not say a single word to anyone whose face i hadn't known since preschool, but that water bottle knock to the head must have rattled my mind more than i thought.

he chuckled, then grew serious as he drew his eyebrows together in a contemplative furrow. "i am sorry, though. honest."

"and i told you, it's fine," i replied, trying to keep my responses short and clipped. if i seemed rude now, he wouldn't try to talk to me as much. and seeing as how i had already broken rule number one, it was up to me to perform damage control.

he seemed to accept that, and he turned silent, looking at the class around him. i noticed the tell-tale signs of his nervousness; he kept picking at the hem of his shirt, shifting in his seat, chewing on a pencil as we waited for the teacher to come in. the sound of his fidgeting was getting on my nerves, and i decided that keeping him talking would be better than his antics.

"so... how long have you been here?" i asked, making sure to keep my eyes straight ahead. if i didn't make contact, he wouldn't confuse it for anything other than a distraction.

"oh, we moved here on friday and spent the weekend settling in. first day, if you couldn't tell," he quirked a smile at me, faltering when i refused to indulge him.

"and how long are you staying?" my voice had fallen decidedly flat, the incessant question finally making itself known. i didn't care. i didn't.

"we're solid for three months," he murmured, and in his voice i heard the disbelief. he had definitely been on this ride before. i spared him a quick look of sympathy. that was longer than it usually was, but it didn't change anything in the end. they'd still be leaving.

we lapsed into silence once more, and the heaviness of his last comment had apparently overtaken his anxiety. he sat stone-faced, drawing within himself. i breathed a sigh of relief.

once class had gotten underway, he seemed to relax a bit, introducing himself with a wry smile and barely balking when the other students failed to acknowledge his presence, knowing he would be gone before he had a chance to linger. and when the teacher announced a partner project, i knew without looking that i would be face to face with a sheepish expression.

"um... you're the only person i know, but i totally get it if-"

"whatever." i snapped, closing my eyes. the one rule everyone followed and i had adhered to was crumbling right in front of me.

"thank you." he whispered, and i felt an empathetic ache rise in me. it wasn't fair, what these kids went through. i was just trying to protect both parties.

"yeah," i mumbled back. "just make sure you pull your weight."

he let out a sharp exhale, knocking my shoulder with his. "you don't have to worry about that."

i cast him a skeptical glance, noting with a small amount of awareness that i didn't hate the smile i got in return.

when the bell rang and everyone started to gather their things, nick leaned against his desk, worrying his bottom lip between his teeth.

"you could come over tomorrow, if you want. my parents are always working and i get distracted in public places. you might have to put up with my brothers though, but they'll keep their noses out of our business if i yell at them enough."

"headlock boy and his poor victim?" i asked.

"matt and chris, yeah," he chuckled.

"sure, sounds fine."

he brightened up immediately, swinging his bag over one shoulder. "perfect! see you then," he said, issuing out the door.

i stood and attempted to collect myself. everything i had kept in mind just went out the window. guess i would see what would come of it at nick's house.