ch 5

Later that night when Stefan returned back to the boarding house from the grill he was approached by Zach
"You promised"

Stefan grabbed the newspaper and frowned "This was an animal attack"

Zach shook his head glancing towards the steps before whispering "Don't give me that".
He paused before lowering his voice and continuing "I know the game. You tear them up enough, they always suspect an animal attack. You said you had it under control"

"And I do"

Zach sighed rubbing his forehead
"Please, Uncle Stefan. Mystic Falls is a different place now. It's been quiet for years, but there are people who still remember. And you being here....it puts Kayla in danger. It's just going to stir things up"

Standing up placing the news paper down, the undead Salvatore approached his nephew "It's not my intention, to hurt Kayla, nor you or anyone in this town"
"Then what is? Why did you come back? After all this time, why now?"

"I don't have to explain myself" Stefan shook his head turning around to go to the kitchen pausing as Zach spoke again with a low voice
"I know that you can't change what you are. But you don't belong here anymore"

Seemingly upset with the words Stefan turned around "Where do I belong?"

Zach raised his hands defensively, backing away "I can't tell you what to do...but coming back here was a mistake"

The two Salvatore men turn away and begin to go about their business, Stefan in the kitchen and Zach leaving the boarding house. About 20 minutes later a half sleep Kayla came i to the kitchen, having just awoken from a nap.

"Hey Kayla"
"Hey Stefan...."

As the girl fiddle with her hands as she tried to rub the sleep from her eyes, Stefan spoke again not glancing up from cutting the fruit "You need to ask me something?"

"Umm...you just...seem to be feeling ms Gilbert"
Stefan looked towards the girl shaking his head "No. I'm not having this conversation with you"

"What! Come on. Im gonna hear it one way or another, let me know both sides. I can be the one to take your side when you inevitably breakup...Not that you two are gone break up" Kayla finished slowly with squinted eyes

"We aren't even dating"
"Yet"
"You both have already trauma bonded"
Stefan raised his eyebrow "Trauma bonded?"
"Over the death of your parents? I did it with Jeremy Gilbert. That's why him and I are friends...Not that I smoke or anything, that's all him and his merry band of junkies"

"Wait slow down...You slept with Elena's brother?" Stefan stressed
"Now where in the hell did you get that? I mean we did but how did u pick that up? I just won't tell that story to anyone again"

Stefan laughed "You're kidding right? You're both babies"
"Right cause you're so old grandpa"

Stefan chuckled "Older than you"
"By what like? 6 months. Pipe down" Kayla rolled her eyes before adding "Now spill the beans"

"First of all, there are no 'beans' to spill. Second of all, you are far to young to be-"
"what fornicating"

Stefan blankly stared at the girl "do you like him at least?"
Kayla shifted in her seat "He's cute"
"Kayla"
"No you're right, we shouldn't have this conversation"
"Kayla"
"Fine. Dang, just force it out of me"the teen rolled her eyes

"I've known Jeremy since were were babies. We'd always been close but we never really saw each other like that...you know?"

Stefan nodded sitting beside the girl sliding over a big bowl of strawberries for her

"We'd both lost one of or both of the most important people in our lives and I don't know, we just bonded I guess....Are you sure this isn't weird, cause it's kinda weird"
"It's not weird, we're family, I'll never judge you"
"Awe, Stef. I won't judge you either..in a disrespectful manner at least. Only playful-scouts honor"

Stefan chuckled drinking his alcohol
"This is so cute of us" Kayla grinned
"Cute?"
"Us bonding. We're the same age in the same grade but this is the first time we've ever talked for real. We probably have so much in common. Do you know anything about clothes?"
"No I do not but I'm willing to learn" Stefan smiled

"It's only ever really been me and my brother Damon, we don't talk very much and when we do it's never about uh fashion" he added

"That sounds sad...but I didn't know you had siblings. Oh I have an idea, let's play 21 questions. I'll start, who was your first time"
"Really? That's what you start with?"
"I think it's only fair because you know mine"

"Jeremy...was your first?"
"Yes now spill"
"My um ex...Katherine"
"Ooo Katherine. What was she like?"
"Luckily, you'll never have to know"

"Dang...was she a bitch?"

Stefan snorted standing up to wash the dishes "Alright that was a surprisingly interesting 21 questions-"
"I only asked one question-"
"But we'll sadly have to end it here I need to go on a walk"

Kayla frowned "In the woods? At night? Really?"
"It's um therapeutic"
"It's suicidal but if you like it, I love it" Kayla shrugged standing, giving Stefan a peck on the check
"I'm going back to sleep, I'll see you in the morning for school unless your walking again"